Who are you? (Formal introductions)

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
milefilms

Unread post by milefilms » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 am

My name is Dennis Doros and I'm a filmaholic. Much to my continual regret, I made my hobby into my life's profession and my wife Amy and I run a tiny film distribution company out of our basement in northern New Jersey. Milestone is now 18-years-old and we continue to get by.

We have a son, two beagles, a cat (who should be named Frederica but is actually Magnolia), a fish and a gheko. That doesn't count all the woodpeckers, grackles, cardinals and all the feathered moochers who congregate around our five bird feeders in the back.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:46 am

milefilms wrote: We have a son, two beagles, a cat (who should be named Frederica but is actually Magnolia), a fish and a gheko. That doesn't count all the woodpeckers, grackles, cardinals and all the feathered moochers who congregate around our five bird feeders in the back.
For those of you who found that statement inexplicable: my cat is named "Dennis."

Fred

Cherry Malotte

Unread post by Cherry Malotte » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Here I am, another Midwesterner and film enthusiast as well as keeper for a husband and daughter. My first silent film experience were with the local PBS stations in Chicago - Nosferatu scared the dickens out of me when I was six or seven! Also helping me along were a mother who loved mysteries, and my father who still loves a good war or action film, and both worship at the Altar of John Wayne.

I've since expanded my respect and knowledge for the silents, have become a lover of Pre-Codes, and dabble with Bollywood on occasion. It makes me happy that I've made a Cagney and Eddie G lover out of my child - Dreyer has to follow at some point.

I know Larry from his Rt 66 site, and Jack Theakston from the imdb. Jack's gonna get a complex and think I'm following him about!
"Whaddya mean illiterate? My parents were married right here in city hall!"

Michael Mortilla

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:43 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
And then they all went to the Woodstock music festival right afterwards!

Jim
I'm proud to say I did attend and I remember some of it! :)
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis

MattBarry

Unread post by MattBarry » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 am

Just wanted to introduce myself-

I am Matt Barry. I'm 24 and work as an independent film and videomaker in the Baltimore area. I've been a fan of silent film since I was about seven or eight, when I stumbled upon a videotape at the library of Chaplin's "Modern Times". (I had a vague fascination with silent film even before then, since they used to be shown, probably in 8mm prints, at a restaurant called the Ground Round-anybody remember them?)

I spent most of my time reading everything I could, especially the books of William K. Everson, Leonard Maltin and Kevin Brownlow, which served as a great introduction and pointed me to many films that I sought out. My interest in silent film quickly developed into a love of all things cinema, but I always try to see every silent film I can get a copy of (when TCM went on the air, their Silent Sunday nights was a blessing). I came across the alt.movies.silent newsgroup about ten years ago and have been posting there since 1999. (It's great to see so many of the regulars from that newsgroup are posting here at Nitrateville now). I probably learned most of what I know about silent film from reading alt.movies.silent. My "formal" film education was at Towson University's film school, in Maryland, but the countless weekends spent watching everything I could at Baltimore's Orpheum Art and Revival Cinema (now closed) was probably the best film education I could have had. This passion (obsession?) with film also lead to my current work in film and videomaking.

It's good to see so many former AMS posters here. And thanks to Mike Gebert for providing this forum!

St.George

Unread post by St.George » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello, try as I might I cannot for the life of me get an avatar to stick here, but, naught will deter me from still trying. I live on the East Coast of England and a true Brit from birth, although I am not exactly proud of Englands acheivments over the last few years. I am a bit old and nearly remember the silents first time around. It is good escapism for us followers, I have had enough of the chaotic world that surrounds us to fill the universe.

My first, that I can remember, of the early films, was watching W.C.Fields in the Barber Shop short and his changing pedals on the get away bicycle. It only lasted a few seconds, but I cried so much with laughter, everyone else missed seeing that bit at the Saturday morning, children only, cinema shows, and wondered what was wrong with me..I have been hooked ever since. I will watch anything silent, although the soundtracks are in the main weird and changeable.

You are very lucky in the States to have such a collecting availability of material, and companies dedicated to providing it. Over here it is almost a hand-me-down and lucky you got that sort of mentality, unless you really apply pressure nothing gets done and produced. I hope it gets better. Ebay has proved to be a reasonable source of material, but, even that is mainly copies of copies, so quality is invariably poor. I only get dvd versions now, but I am amazed at how many Americans collect 16mm and 35mm versions of spooled film, it is very rewarding to hear this is happening these days. It's also good to feel part of a collection of people with the same tastes, I am very much a loner in this around here, even the wife thinks I am a bit crazy. She is no doubt correct again..lol.

I am looking forward to reading your posts and putting a few of my own up for perusal, even with the aid of the Internet, it's good to talk....
Reg Seward
alias St.George..
The Life and Times of a Misanthrope

Rob Farr

Unread post by Rob Farr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Welcome St. George. Have you ever been to the Bristol Silents series, especially their annual Slapstick fest? It may be on the other side of England from you, but knowing the folks who put it together, it would be well worth the trip.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx

St.George

Unread post by St.George » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:52 am

Thankyou for your welcome Rob Carr and no, I have not attended any silent film shows for many years including the Bristol shows. I have actually only found out about them, only last week in fact. I thought I was a bit of a loner in this silent film watching until I got on the web, and lordy, it would appear that most of the worlds population are avid viewers.
Apparently the BFI over here have showings of various types up London from time to time, but it would appear that geographically alone, it is a bit elitist as it is invariably midweek, expensive and no gaurantees that you can get in, and try getting home at midnight from the city centre. I could stay in a hotel, but, for one film ???
The last time I attended a silent film show, was at a one off showing at the newly opened Corn Exchange in Ipswich, Suffolk. It was a late night rendition of Nosferatu, with a strange newly ruined soundtrack of electric organs played at various speeds, awful, but the film was further spoilt by the chattering audience that had obviously been drinking. I swore then that I would not attend again. I bowed to my illustrious wife and went to a multiplex to see the Silence of the Lambs. Incredibly loud response from the speakers, that hurt the ears when a gaol drawer was slammed shut. Apart from the local fleapits, I do not attend cinemas anymore, but watch in the comfort of my own home, at my leisure, and I can drink and eat what I like, and wear the most enormous hat you have ever seen and nobody says a word...lol
I may be persuaded to go now though, but only if the audience are deaf and mute and do not wear hats...

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm

St.George wrote: I do not attend cinemas anymore, but watch in the comfort of my own home, at my leisure, and I can drink and eat what I like, and wear the most enormous hat you have ever seen and nobody says a word...lol
:shock: You do that too? Does yours have grapes on it?

Fred

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:47 am

St.George wrote: I may be persuaded to go now though, but only if the audience are deaf and mute and do not wear hats...
As a member of the Deaf community, I can assure you a Deaf audience is not much less distracting than a hearing audience. Like hearies, Deafies never stop talking during a film. The difference is that we talk with our hands, which makes a constant visual distraction instead of an aural distraction.

Oh, and we live by those light-blinking Blackberries just as much as you hearies live by your blathering cellphones.

Jim

St.George

Unread post by St.George » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 am

I am not exactly sure what a blackberry is, other than a fruit which I use on my hats instead of grapes. I have heard of them, but, at the monastery we lead a very quiet life and cellphones are not permitted at vespers.
It is interesting your comments on deaf signing, I never gave it much thought about what to do in case of neccessary comment in a cinema, with the lights out and all. We all live and learn....

Micromegas

Unread post by Micromegas » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:34 am

Hi there!

This is my first post. My real name is Steve Joyce and I go by (on various boards) as Barbenfouillis, Alcolfribas and now Micromegas....all names that should be familiar to fans of George Melies and A Trip to the Moon. (Hmm…my problem now is to remember which board goes with which name…Maybe I need to rethink my plan here…!!)

I got interested in silent films kinda, sorta thru the backdoor. Up until the '80s I haunted used bookstores trying to fill in items on my science fiction reading want list. Then one day, I rented Moroder's Metropolis on vhs. Although, I now consider that version of Lang's masterpiece an oddity, I was hooked. How such an imaginative film could have been made in the 20s and in another country, no less, entirely fascinated my naive mind. I started sending out for catalogs from LS-Video, Sinister Cinema and others to get whatever else I could in the same vein. Along the way, I developed an appreciation for all silents, too.

So hooked (obsessive?) was I that eventually I started researching films I couldn’t find. That’s led me to writing a few fanzine articles and for the past couple of years working with John Soister, Henry Nicolella, Harry Long and Bill Chase on a McFarland encyclopedia on US feature silents of a horror, Sci Fi or fantasy nature. (Anybody got a short name for a title?)

I’m a 50-something baby-boomer who tried to grow up in Northern New Jersey. Connecticut was home from the mid-80s to 2003 (although I spent most of the 90s traveling for long term consulting assignments). Been living in Marietta, Georgia for the past few years and working in Atlanta. Was married for the first time almost 8 years ago. We have a cat named “Lassie” (it’s a Tom.)

That’s it!

Steve
Always interested in silents with a fantastic theme (and, yes, others too)

Michael Mortilla

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:30 am

Micromegas wrote:Hi there!...My real name is Steve Joyce...
Welcome, Steve, and thanks for joining and putting a REAL name on your handle!

BTW, I am still amazed at Metropolis and how forward looking it was in so many ways (technically, artistically, etc.) Lang really saw the dangers of Big Brother, Globalization, and dependency on technology long before these were issues that confronted us. Yet he still managed to entertain us without saying a word. Amazing!
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis

Richard P. May

Unread post by Richard P. May » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:12 pm

My name is Dick May. I was just directed to this forum today, and have already gotten into several threads. I am pleased to see several old friends already here. I have been in the motion picture business all my working life. I was in distribution with Universal, Disney and Fox, then joined MGM just prior to their sale to Turner Entertainment Co. I took over the Turner film preservation responsibility, and continued in this position when that company merged with Warner Bros. I retired from WB at the end of 2005, and joined Film Technology Co., Inc., which is a film and video preservation operation operating in Los Angeles for 35 years. I look forward to these discussions.
Dick May

fhalden

Who am I?

Unread post by fhalden » Tue May 06, 2008 1:29 pm

I must say I'm somewhat humbled by the expertise and experience of many of you! But I'll add my bio to the list.

I live in Baltimore, am 40 years old, and teach Geometry. My love of silent movies began, as it did for another member, at a Pizza Parlor. Our Gang was dimly projected on the back wall. I was entranced. Most of my early viewings were of Harold Lloyd shorts broadcast at 1:00am Sunday mornings from a station in Greenville, SC, across the mountains to my East Tennessee home.

I must admit that I enjoy reading about silent film as much as I enjoy viewing them. I enjoy both history and criticism, stretching from Terry Ramsaye to Tom Gunning. My favorite film is "The Black Pirate."

For a decade or so, I worked as a System and Database Admin, but have returned to teaching at a Jesuit High School here in Baltimore. I just finished watching the Kino Edison set last week, and look forward to the arrival of La Roue, hopefully as a bit of a palate cleanser. Seriously, I've always enjoyed actualities. I also collect Victor Talking Machines and Victrolas. And pre-electric 78s.

I'm very happy to have found this forum, and hope to contribute in some reasonable fraction of the benefit I've already derived.
" " - Charles Chaplin

N_Phay

Unread post by N_Phay » Thu May 08, 2008 9:08 am

Hello! I'm a middle-aged British guy from the North-East of England. I got into silent films through seeing them on TV in the late seventies and early eighties (this is pretty unimaginable now, eh?) and from watching Brownlow & Gill's "Hollywood" when it was first shown. I've got back into silent and early sound/pre-code movies in a big way over the last couple of years, it's difficult to see screenings up here, so I pick up DVDs whenever I can. My favourite performers are Pola Negri, Norma Talmadge, Jessie Matthews and Ruby Keeler. The film I've enjoyed most recently has been the Virginia Lee Corbin flapper comedy "Bare Knees".

I will freely admit that one of the things that appeals to me about the cinema back then is that most of the actresses were ridiculously attractive!

I like to upload screengrabs and pictures I've found to my flickr account, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Most of which are from old movies. Like a bunch of people, it seems, I'm intrigued as to who the mystery chorine with the black bob haircut was:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 775226186/

I'll probably not be very voluble, I'm in awe of the knowledge that people here have, and have been on the interweb long enough to have learned when to shut up when people who know more than you are holding forth. Also, I'm very impressed with the civility I've seen here. An increasing rarity in the web 2.0 era, I find (lamentably).

Thanks.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu May 08, 2008 9:21 am

Welcome to all recent signups, something must be working because we've had a good number lately, and check out N_Phay's Flickr thing on the mystery chorine, it's pretty interesting.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Michael Mortilla

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Thu May 08, 2008 9:28 am

N_Phay wrote: I'm in awe of the knowledge that people here have...
Welcome! It's a funny thing, for while there are legitimate experts in silent film, like David Shepard and Bob Birchard, among others on this board and in the world in general, there are also people who have been collectors or, like myself, involved in silent film by accompanying, collecting or presenting films. We learn a lot from the true experts or by reading about the films, seeing documentaries, etc. But us "third party" folks didn't actually research or study silent film - we're just lucky to have those other guys and gals around to share their hard earned knowledge.
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis

Zool

New Zool.

Unread post by Zool » Sat May 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Hello! I'm Zool, and I'll try to make this as interesting as possible!

I'm originally from Southern California, but now I live in dumpy New Mexico. Yuck. I lived in SoCal until the ripe old age of 24, and I never took the time to watch a movie at the famous Silent Movie Theater. I know, bad human!

I work in education and I'm going to school to get my degree in elementary education. Very time consuming!

I've always had a fondness for silent movies. The first one I saw was Safety Last. After that I saw the Freshman. Long Pants was one that I was never able to finish. The piano music just go to me. About 10 years ago I saw Wings. At that point, my only experience with silents were comedies. I some how expected Wings to be the same. Overall, I was very pleased with the movie. The flying stunts were great, and I was surprised how the last quarter of the film made me feel.

A few months ago I saw Sunrise for the first time on youtube. A movie that I had read about through the years. Mainly, its comparison to Wings. What intrigued me was the fact that so many people thought Sunrise was far better than Wings. I just had to watch. Thank God for youtube!

I couldn't believe how moved I was by Sunrise. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful movie ever. One of the greatest and my personal all time favorite!

My favorite actors of the silent era are without a doubt drop dead Gorgeous George O'Brien (discovered him through Sunrise), and Buster Keaton.

That's all I have to say for now. See you later. 8)

Penfold

Unread post by Penfold » Mon May 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Rob Farr wrote:Welcome St. George. Have you ever been to the Bristol Silents series, especially their annual Slapstick fest? It may be on the other side of England from you, but knowing the folks who put it together, it would be well worth the trip.
We like to think so....!! Thanks for the recommendation.....on our part, we dream of the day we can get to Slapsticon, having ripped off your idea. You must know Dave Wyatt, a large part of Slapstick is his fault...
My real name is Mark Fuller, I'm based in Bristol, England; I found this site having read about it on The Bioscope blogsite, thanks to the above Mr McKernan....
I'm of the generation that was still able to watch Chaplin Mutuals on the BBC on a Saturday morning as a kid; that had the iconic images of Silent Horror burned into my brain from a Denis Gifford book from'72 that I found in the local library; and remember the classic Photoplay documentaries on ITV in the seventies and early eighties; so that only ten years ago, when I started to explore Film History back from the Powell and Pressburger classics I had fallen in love with, via the Rex Ingram epics, and saw live music revivals in London of Nosferatu, The Wedding March, The Iron Mask, I was revisiting old friends...and with a sense of wanting to make up for lost time.
So, since then, it's an obsession....as much as my day job (Betting Shop Manager) allows....Pordenone for the last 5/6 years, British Silent Film Weekend ditto, I help out at Slapstick and Bristol Silents....odd bits of research (early exhibition in Bristol, a filmography of Bonzo (British animation series, 1924/5) and so on, evangelise for British Silent Film on the Britmovie site.....this forum seems like a fine place to be, I'm looking forward to exploring...but be gentle with me...I'm still learning.
I could use some digital restoration myself...

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:41 pm

My name is Jorge Ruben Finkielman and, to some regret, I restore recordings and tangos in particular, living in Massachusetts.

It is because my affection to silent films that I began collecting tango sheet music related to silent films. A chance to meet with collectors allowed me to access rare recordings which have been ugly recorded (fifth generation versions) for years.

Unable to restore films, I decided to restore recordings. I achieved a modest success that allowed me to make friends who are always putting "pressure" on me to keep restoring even though I don't necessary want to do it since there are no financial retributions here; just a sort of personal satisfaction.

But it is sometimes a painful task. Many of this people, including film archivist Roberto Di Chiara, have died and I usually don't have the necessary mood and time to do this. And when I hear the results, sometimes tears will roll on my face.

John Soister

Unread post by John Soister » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am

Hiya. I'm John Soister, originally from Brooklyn, but a fixture in Orwigsburg (PA) this past two decades. It's hard for me to believe, but I'm in my late 50s (my 30s & 40s are a blur - I know I had them, but I'm damned if I can remember anything much following the birth of my three children). I'm married with three children (I read I can only say things twice, so that's the last time you'll read that one) and four dogs. And a wonderful wife who puts up with me, so long as I clean up after myself. I love silent films and - together with Henry Nicolella, Harry Long, Steve Joyce, and Bill Chase - am currently working on an encyclopedia-ish collection of fact and opinion on feature-length, American-made thrillers, 1913-1929. I hope I live to see it completed.
Nemo dat quod non habet

Talmadge

Another Introduction

Unread post by Talmadge » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:07 am

Just want to introduce myself. I'm Michael Neno, I'm a cartoonist, and love old movies, especially silent and pre-code (but really, I'll watch any movie made before, say, 1960, just because it's before 1960).

Some of my favorites (off the top of my head): Erich von Stroheim, early Cecil B. DeMille, Cliff Edwards, Keaton, Lloyd, Harry Langdon, Charley Chase, Bessie Love, Anita Page, Dan Duryea, King Vidor, early Janet Gaynor, Colleen Moore, Mary Pickford, Lon Chaney, Preston Sturges, Cagney, William Haines, Hitchcock, Warren William, Max Davidson, Tod Browning, Mary Pickford - the usual suspects.

(Off topic: for a modern-day reference point, I also enjoy Kubrick, David Lynch, and Paul Thomas Anderson).

I'm also, naturally, interested in film preservation, Kevin Brownlow books and documentaries, Carl Davis scores, the rise and fall of civilizations...

As I mentioned in a different post, my wife Mary and I are watching every MGM film which still exists. We started with 1924, and are now up to 1931. Here's a related blog, Stars In Heaven: An MGM Blog, which I just started: http://anmgmblog.blogspot.com/

We've also been maintaining a site posting listings of screenings of classic film, Silents in the Court. It's out of date now;
we'll be updating it this month: http://www.nenoworld.com/SilentsintheCourt.html

Looking forward to discussing movies here!

silentfilm

Re: Another Introduction

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Talmadge wrote:We've also been maintaining a site posting listings of screenings of classic film, Silents in the Court. It's out of date now;
we'll be updating it this month: http://www.nenoworld.com/SilentsintheCourt.html
Michael,
You'll find a long list of silent film screenings on this website under "Silent Screenings". However, I have not posted anything this week because I've been in Las Vegas the last few days for work (and play) and I have not had a chance to post any new screenings for several days. Tonight's my first time on the computer for four days. The screenings will be back next week!
Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frederica

Re: Another Introduction

Unread post by Frederica » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:01 pm

silentfilm wrote: Michael,
You'll find a long list of silent film screenings on this website under "Silent Screenins". However, I have not posted anything this week because I've been in Las Vegas the last few days for work (and play) and I have not had a chance to post any new screenings for several days. Tonight's my first time on the computer for four days. The screenings will be back next week!
OMG. Do not miss The Luxor. It's like walking into the middle of a De Mille film. Although the experience is sadly diminished since they removed the Nile boat ride through the casino.

Fred

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Freddie,
I stayed at the Luxor! Not in the pyramid though, in the West tower. Douglas Trumball of special effects fame even had an IMAX ride in the hotel. The acting was very cheesy, but the film and the moving seats were fun.

I was working during the day, but my wife tagged along and we caught the Circ de Soleil Mystere show one night at Treasure Island, and we absolutely loved it.

I don't understand gambling with slot machines though. People who are upset about giving their money to the government through taxes, or to criminals with guns, just sit there for hours and feed dollars into these machines.

The only gambling that I do is when an eBay seller says, "I don't have a projector, but this film looks like it is in excellent condition". :wink:

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:28 pm

silentfilm wrote:Freddie,
I stayed at the Luxor! Not in the pyramid though, in the West tower. Douglas Trumball of special effects fame even had an IMAX ride in the hotel. The acting was very cheesy, but the film and the moving seats were fun.

I was working during the day, but my wife tagged along and we caught the Circ de Soleil Mystere show one night at Treasure Island, and we absolutely loved it.

I don't understand gambling with slot machines though. People who are upset about giving their money to the government through taxes, or to criminals with guns, just sit there for hours and feed dollars into these machines.

The only gambling that I do is when an eBay seller says, "I don't have a projector, but this film looks like it is in excellent condition". :wink:
Gambling bores me spitless (unless it's $2.00 on the 7th at Santa Anita) but I am endlessly amused in (and by) Vegas. No town that brazenly squishes a fake Eiffel Tower next to a fake volcano within a few second's walk of a big fake Roman villa which is not far from the Star Trek ride can be all bad! Plus they provide all this without a shred of pretentiousness or snobbishness; they don't give a hang about High Arte, just give them your money and they'll happily hand you all the vulgarity your little heart could possibly require.

I hope you haven't passed up the chance to visit Caesar's Palace and the indoor/outdoor fake Italian plaza shopping mall, not to mention Cleopatra's Barge. Are the white tigers still at the Mirage? (Kitties!)

Fred

P.S. The Luxor IMAX ride made me nauseous, but I loved the Star Trek flight simulator in the Hilton. I also loved hugging the Klingon, but that's another story.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:22 pm

We strolled through the Caesar's Palace mall and ate dinner there. It was quite beautiful. There are also the "live" statues there.

I missed the Mirage. And sadly my wife is not a Star Trek fan, so I missed that also.

Micromegas

Unread post by Micromegas » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote: I do like Fairbanks, Chaney, and Houdini (I know he's a ham, but he is magnificent).
I just took a moment to update myself on this folder.

Tommie, your post stuck out. Mainly because I'm not sure I ever ran across anyone that shares my opinion of Houdini as an actor. I just get such a *kick* out of him. In a strange kind of way, its a similar reaction to what I get from watching a Governator flick.

BTW, Chaney and Fairbanks in a film will always pique my interest as well; probably more so than any other 2 silent stars that I can think of.

Steve

warpedtime

Unread post by warpedtime » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi, my name is Alan Thompson, my username is warpedtime, as that has been my registered business name since the early 1990's.

I started out as a graphic designer, then an animator, IT technician, video editor, more recently an IT manager for an aboriginal media organisation and now full circle back to graphic design again (mostly for the internet).

My interest in silent film, and classic film in general, dates back to watching Kevin Brownlow's "HOLLYWOOD: The Pioneers" as an impressionable teenager...
...Now as an impressionable 37 year old, I am planning to attend the Fall Cinevent which will be my first film festival as well as being part of my first visit to the US.

I was a longtime lurker on alt.movies.silent but while I've read as much as I could, I've only ever seen a minute fraction of what is available elsewhere so I seldom posted. Living in a remote corner of Western Australia, I was caught in the double bind of either being too busy with work, or if not, too poor to access material... the internet and DVDs have truly been a lifeline for me!

kindest regards,
Alan Thompson
(warpedtime)