Security Certificate

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
Jim Roots

Security Certificate

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 am

I'm now getting warnings whenever I try to log in to NitrateVille, that the site is not secure and login information could be stolen.

When I go ahead and log in anyway, it takes longer to move into the home page from the login page. We're not talking minutes here, but it is a noticeable pause.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Security Certificate

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 am

Anyone else seeing anything like this?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I think I'm getting it also - it appears to be a new Firefox "feature" and pops up when I'm using logins saved in Firefox to auto fill the login fields. Instead of immediately filling in the logins like it used to I now have to select the login ID from below the message before it drops in the info. Does it on other sites as well where I have saved logins. Probably useful info for the deeply paranoid, but I filed it under "Upgrades, Benign/Annoying."

No slowness issues though.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Absolutely right: it's due to the Firefox update. Mike, here is the page explaining the situation:
https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Protect- ... ta-p/27861" target="_blank

Jim

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm using the older v.48 of Firefox which does not pop up the warning, but displays a "connection is not secure" message if the info icon next to the url box is clicked.

Not being secure (a site that connects via http rather than https) has Google search "ranking" consequences, among other things.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Jim, all you have to do is go to https://www.nitrateville.com instread of http://www.nitrateville.com or nitrateville.com. This will ensure that you always have a secure connection. If you have a bookmark for Nitrateville, make sure that you update it.

The new Firefox update has caused us headaches at work, because it no longer supports the java plugin. The good news is that you are protected from malicious viruses through Firefox. The bad news is that some web pages won't work the same.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 am

* Tsk *

There you go again, Bruce, trying to make my life easier.

It worked. Have you no shame, sir?

Thanks!

Jim

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:46 am

One bit of helpful info for them's what have made the change to "https," if you want to see embedded YouTube links in a post you have to take the "s" out and just use "http" in the address bar. Was a bit baffling for a moment seeing large gaps in posts and folks talking about invisible videos.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 am

Something weird is going on with the login process.

In the past few days, I've logged-in with the security certificate. I've been sent to the Board index, and ... forced to login again, this time without the security certificate. Throughout my stay online, I may find myself once or twice again prompted to login unsecured when I want to move to another place on the site or post something.

Today takes the cake! After logging in twice, I posted my review of Lazybones without a problem, then was forced to login again when I wanted to go back to the index, and then forced to login again (the fourth time on the same visit) when I clicked on this thread.

I'm using Firefox.

And just now, when I attempted to post this note, I was forced to login for the FIFTH time!

Jim

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:09 am

I've had some weird things, too. I've logged in, then tried to post a message, only to be sent back to the log-in page and lose my message. Then it won't let me log in, then let's me, then everything seems to be okay. It's as if someone or something is tagging along with me and devilishly laughing as it screws me up! It's happened at least three times in the past six or so days.

Additional coda: it just did it to me twice on this post!!!

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:22 am

I've had a slightly similar problem (having to log in multiple times, but only when disposing of spam posters) so I'll ask the hosting co. if they know of anything.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm having the same problem as Mike.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I want $20,000 in small unmarked bills or you'll never see your website again. That's U.S. dollars.

A Friend
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:28 am

I get various security certificate warnings lately, but I'm using an older (Mac) operating system.
Slightly differently, just last week my Safari browser was no longer allowed access to my bank account since it is also old.

So, I switched to another browser.

That said, I am on Nitrateville right now using FireFox (61.0.1) on Mac. I'm not having any problems. I usually use Safari (on Mac) and have had not security certificate problems with Nitrateville.

I suggest trying out another browser on your computer just to see if that works.
Then:

Using FireFox
1. Try accessing nitrateville after restarting FireFox with the add-ons disabled. Maybe it's one of those.
2. If it's not that, then prepare for a re-installation of a fresh copy of FireFox (latest version for your computer and operating system).
3. Export all your bookmarks if you have more than a few. (It's a good practice to back them up anyway.)
4. Write down or make screen shots of all your FireFox settings/preferences so that you can change them on the new installation.
5. Once those are done:
6. Use FireFox or another browser to download the fresh copy of FireFox, but don't install it yet.
7. Use whatever utility is available for your computer to trash all files having anything to do with FireFox, including support, caches, preferences, folders, etc., etc.
8. Install the new copy and change the settings/preferences to what you want.
9. Import the saved bookmarks.
10. Try it on Nitrateville.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm using Firefox and it's been logging me out every minute or two. It seems to stay if i click "log me in automatically when i visit the site" which i don't really want to do, but i can manually log out when i'm done.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 pm

Part of the problem is redirection from a secure connection to non-secure connection.

For example, just now, starting at the top-level page using HTTPS -- https://www.nitrateville.com" target="_blank -- I clicked the login button. Then logged in. Then waited to be automatically redirected to the page I had just been viewing. But it automatically redirected me to an HTTP (not HTTPS) connection -- nitratevile.com/..... And I was no longer logged in. On the other hand, following the same steps as before through logging in, once I am informed that I have logged in and will be automatically returned to the page I was just viewing, if I immediately type the URL https://www.nitrateville.com/" target="_blank , then I remain logged in. This is due to remaining on a secure connection instead of drifting to an HTTP connection.

Nitrateville is inconsistent about maintaining HTTPS connections, and I think this now causes logouts.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:06 pm

Oh, and after posting the above message, I became logged out. I had been on an HTTPS:// URL to write the message. After posting the message, I was redirected to:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p207618" target="_blank

... which is an HTTP, not HTTPS connection, causing me to be logged out.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 pm

It may be time to update to the latest bulletin board software.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Yes, that's one of the things I plan to have them do when I contact them about this on Monday (sorry, been busy).

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:49 pm

I guess I've been logging in without the added "s".
That may invalidate my results using FireFox.

No wonder I was able to see the youtube videos actually displayed instead of white space. :roll:

Rick

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah, me too. My login is http (sans "s") and haven't had any problems. I figure the commies are welcome to infiltrate my N-ville data and the added bonus of seeing the YT links is the icing on the cake.

There have been a couple of Firefox updates recently, I wonder if that 'broke' something?

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:45 pm

I'm on Chrome and having problems too.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:49 am

I pointed the hosting co. toward this thread and a response received separately and got this back from them:
Mike, we have seen the log in issue before and will get it squared away for you.
So I take that to mean it's something that will be fixed before the overall site update.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 am

Mike Gebert wrote:I pointed the hosting co. toward this thread and a response received separately and got this back from them:
Mike, we have seen the log in issue before and will get it squared away for you.
So I take that to mean it's something that will be fixed before the overall site update.
Sure hope so. Yesterday I was required to login a total of eight times just to post a lousy one-liner.

Jim

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:59 am

Also, I fear the technical problem is what is keeping Donald Binks away from us. He must be having tremendous struggles. Imagine all of our own problems, turned upside down and swirling us around the drain counter-clockwise. That's probably what he's going through.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:05 am

Sure hope so. Yesterday I was required to login a total of eight times just to post a lousy one-liner.
So the filter worked seven times, but there's only so much we can do about a truly determined poster...

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:43 am

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
So the filter worked seven times, but there's only so much we can do about a truly determined poster...
Hey, my one-liners are worth it!

Jim

countryslicker

Unread post by countryslicker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:20 pm

I usually have to log in a half dozen times.It states I'm logged in successfully, then when I click on Newest Posts I have to log in again, and so ithe merry go round goes on until I eventually have success. Posting is usually impossible. I'm using Chrome on an Android tablet.

I'm also getting the following message sometimes:"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded. The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later".

Never mind.....at least the drains down here in Oz are operating OK. :mrgreen:

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:52 pm

countryslicker wrote:I usually have to log in a half dozen times.It states I'm logged in successfully, then when I click on Newest Posts I have to log in again
If you want to reply to a message, first copy the URL you are on. This one is
Then click "Login" and enter your login credentials. Then, click the button to finalize logging in, then paste the URL into your browser and press enter before the site redirects you back to the page you had been viewing. When the site redirects you, you will also get logged out. The URL you paste will actually take you back to where you want to be without logging you out, so you can post a reply.