How to see only unread posts

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
silentfilm

How to see only unread posts

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:15 am

If you can't wait until the Bulletin Board company restores the "Read unread posts" back to the bulletin board, try this URL. The search still works!

http://www.nitrateville.com/search.php? ... nreadposts

Histogram

Re: How to see only unread posts

Unread post by Histogram » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:32 pm

We actually have the view-unread-posts function available, labeled "View new posts" right now. What we are missing is to ability to view all new posts (regardless of whether they were read).

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:54 pm

This link works with new posts: search.php?search_id=newposts

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 pm

I still don't know how to define new posts except as "read" or "unread." What does "new posts" mean elsewhere?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 pm
I still don't know how to define new posts except as "read" or "unread." What does "new posts" mean elsewhere?
"View new posts" or "List threads by date": list of threads in reverse-chronological order based on the last post in each thread. At any instant, this list will be the same for all users. Any individual's already-read posts are included in the list, so everyone sees the same list.

"View new unread posts": what we have now. List of threads in reverse-chronological order based on the last post in each thread in which the user has not yet seen one or more messages.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 am

"View new posts" or "List threads by date": list of threads in reverse-chronological order based on the last post in each thread. At any instant, this list will be the same for all users. Any individual's already-read posts are included in the list, so everyone sees the same list.
So if I understand this correctly, that's what each board already is, but you want to see them all at once. Which is what View New Posts is, except it removes things you've already looked at so you don't waste time.

Honestly, this seems like a step back in utility, more confusing than either approach we have now.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:00 am

That's what I'm thinking too - I don't see the point. How does it differ from clicking each board's header to "show all posts"?

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 am

It is much more efficient to hit one button and see all the changes rather than having to hit each subject head one by one to see what new has happened. That is a waste of time.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 am

We must have something different in our setups. I'm on Chrome, if that means anything. I hit "View New Posts" and everything that I've not read is visible on one page. That's how I've always done it, and it hasn't changed with the new board software (not for me, at least).

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am

Pre-upgrade, my experience (I'm always logged in) was that “New posts” was a list of all threads that had new posts since my last visit; an icon resembling a sheet of paper with a corner turned down took me to the first of the new posts in that thread - that now is triggered by clicking the film reel. In effect, the functionality remains the same. (Pre-upgrade the list lingered for a time, the only change being the disappearance of the folded-page icon after I visited that particular thread.)

Sometimes I accidentally clicked the old “View unread posts” link and found myself mystified at the huge list that included some pretty ancient last-posting dates, since it included threads in forums I rarely visit, like the Image Gallery and Exchange. That list included every thread that had posts I hadn't read no matter how many of my visits had occurred since the date of the last post in the thread.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:18 am

Paul Penna wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am

Sometimes I accidentally clicked the old “View unread posts” link and found myself mystified at the huge list that included some pretty ancient last-posting dates, since it included threads in forums I rarely visit, like the Image Gallery and Exchange. That list included every thread that had posts I hadn't read no matter how many of my visits had occurred since the date of the last post in the thread.
I usually used the "View unread posts" when i was logged in, which was most of the time, and thought the list was long because it included threads i was ignoring and i had to keep a mental note of the last thread i hadn't read and read the later ones that i wanted to read. A nice feature of the new version is that i can read all the new postings i want and mark the rest read. The old way was fine but this is marginally better. "View active posts" was handy if you didn't feel like logging in but wanted to see if there was an interesting discussion going on. The name "View new posts" is slightly confusing since it isn't obvious which of those two functions it's going to be.

However, if i don't log in, i still see a "View new posts" at the upper left, and when i click that it tells me i'm viewing unread posts--which if i'm not logged in i'm not sure how it knows what i haven't read. Is it actually giving me the active posts in reverse chronological order?

So it looks to me like i'm actually getting the old board functionality.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:22 am

So did we have an "active posts" functionality before that is what Histogram describes? I honestly don't remember which tells you how useful I must have found it. That said, if there's a way to define it (I don't think "every post in reverse order to the beginning of time" is useful) I have no objection to inquiring about adding it back.

Anybody else use that, and how did you use it?

UPDATE: I found a screenshot of the board pre-changeover and I don't see that we ever had anything like that.
However, if i don't log in, i still see a "View new posts" at the upper left, and when i click that it tells me i'm viewing unread posts--which if i'm not logged in i'm not sure how it knows what i haven't read. Is it actually giving me the active posts in reverse chronological order?
I think there's a cookie that tells the board that the same computer is looking at it.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 am
So if I understand this correctly, that's what each board already is, but you want to see them all at once. Which is what View New Posts is, except it removes things you've already looked at so you don't waste time.

Honestly, this seems like a step back in utility, more confusing than either approach we have now.
There are two similar but not identical actions, used for different purposes. Removing already-read posts does not save time when you want to view recent active topics.

This is not a step back in utility if >both< actions are available. It isn't an either-or proposition.

The first action is to view new unread posts. Currently, the link labeled "Vew new posts" resolves to URL search.php?search_id=unreadposts . Note the search_id "unreadposts". So it is actually "View new unread posts". This is useful for the obvious reasons: you want to check what has been posted since you last read things.

The second action is to view all posts. This is >globally<, with one click, not by manually visiting all or most individual boards and browsing each subsection. This is also regardless of whether you have read the posts. This is also often useful. Examples:
1. You skimmed some recent threads (which then have status "read") and you want to return to them later. They won't appear on the list of unread posts.
2. You want to review a batch of recent topics that you have already read. You may not know which boards they appeared in, or maybe they were scattered across various boards. For example, there are four recent threads relating to the website upgrade, problems, etc. Let's say you want to revisit these threads to try to figure something out. How do you find the topics quickly? That's when you want a list of all active topics that includes messages you have already read. By the way, those four threads are:
a. "If you care to kick in for the software upgrades..." in Silent News
b. "Big Board Software Update" in Silent News
c. "Security Certificate" in Site Chat
d. "How to see only unread posts" in Site Chat

Anyway, I figured out how to do it. Assuming that a GUI link will not be implemented, here is how to display the list of "active topics" in one operation. "Active topics" means:
- all topics, regardless of whether read (therefore does not require logging in)
- globally for the whole site
- in reverse chronological order

search.php?search_id=active_topics

The list defaults to 7 days. To change the time period, use the small drop-down menu at the lower-left below the bottom of the list of topics. It appears as a small icon with no text.