Gallery of Mastheads

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
boblipton

Re: Gallery of Mastheads

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 am

I think, Greta, that his mustache’s being disgusting is part of his disdain for everyone.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I carry a snake around with me for this very purpose....

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Daveismyhero wrote:The Great Man looks like the mustached-version of Gene Hackman to me. :)

I wonder what Fields would have thought of Myrna Loy?

I have seen a couple of his films (The Fatal Glass of Beer and Never Give a Sucker an Even Break), and I have a couple more lounging on the ol' DVR. I'll watch one of them in his honor, and I'll make sure to have an appropriate beverage for toasting.
Be sure to brush your teeth afterwards. You know -- dip the brush in a glass of gin, swipe it once across your front teeth, and drink the gin.

Jim

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:48 pm

boblipton wrote:I think, Greta, that his mustache’s being disgusting is part of his disdain for everyone.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I carry a snake around with me for this very purpose....

Bob
Quite so. In the final movie with the stash (I can't remember the title at the moment), he doesn't even bother gluing half of it to his face. It hangs out in the air like a flag, while the other half is stuck crookedly to his upper lip. Never has an actor deliberately made it so obvious he's sporting a fake. No, not even Groucho. In fact, not even Lloyd Hamilton in his Ham-n-Bud days, when he pasted a push-broom under his nose. The push-broom didn't hang half-off like Fields' stash.

Jim

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
boblipton wrote:I think, Greta, that his mustache’s being disgusting is part of his disdain for everyone.

Bob
Quite so. In the final movie with the stash (I can't remember the title at the moment), he doesn't even bother gluing half of it to his face. It hangs out in the air like a flag, while the other half is stuck crookedly to his upper lip. Never has an actor deliberately made it so obvious he's sporting a fake. No, not even Groucho. In fact, not even Lloyd Hamilton in his Ham-n-Bud days, when he pasted a push-broom under his nose. The push-broom didn't hang half-off like Fields' stash.

Jim
It appears I was thinking of It's the Old Army Game.

In any case, this moustache baffles science!

Jim

Jim

linquist

Unread post by linquist » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 pm

My wife still calls out the name of Carl LaFong Big L......Little a.....

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:35 am

Speaking of Carl LaFong, we just re-watched It's a Gift recently. When I was a kid, the porch sequence was funny. Now that I'm older than Fields was when he made the movie, it looks like the story of my life.
-- Charlie Morrow

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:01 pm

"Joe, was I in here last night and if I was did I spend a twenty dollar bill?"
The bartender assures that he was there last night and spent a twenty dollar bill.
"Thank heavens. You don't know what a load that takes off my mind. I thought I lost that money."
- from THE BANK DICK (1940)
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 am

A lady friend of mine thinks the Fields picture looks like Steve Martin, especially around the eyes.
So there's that.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 am

I think the reason why Mr. Fields is not as popular as he was some 40+ years ago is that there has been a huge change in popularity of the comic drunk character. The last of them was Foster Brooks on the Dean Martin TV show. The character just isn’t funny any more. Unfortunately, W.C. is collateral damage, especially in those films where he doesn’t drink.

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:51 am

bobfells wrote: The last of them was Foster Brooks on the Dean Martin TV show. The character just isn’t funny any more.
There is an ad that Foster Brooks did for safe boating. I break up every time I hear it. I must be the odd man out? Then I also think that Harry Myers as the drunk millionaire in "City Lights" was probably the best at acting drunk I have seen. He is equally hilarious. Maybe I need therapy?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:29 pm

The two most famous screen drunks in the 1930s were Arthur Housman and Jack Norton, and both looked the part. But Norton was a teetotaler while Housman really was an alcoholic.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm

I think the reason why Mr. Fields is not as popular as he was some 40+ years ago is that there has been a huge change in popularity of the comic drunk character... The character just isn’t funny any more
Bad news for Cheech and Chong, man.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

bobfells

Unread post by bobfells » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
I think the reason why Mr. Fields is not as popular as he was some 40+ years ago is that there has been a huge change in popularity of the comic drunk character... The character just isn’t funny any more
Who?

JFK

Leon Errol Doug Benson

Unread post by JFK » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 pm

....Arthur Housman and Jack Norton, and both looked the part
...The {drunk} character just isn’t funny any more
Last edited by JFK on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Donald Binks

Re: Leon Errol Doug Benson

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:41 pm

JFK wrote:
....Arthur Housman and Jack Norton, and both looked the part
Leon Errol had quite a drunk act too. It was if his legs were made of rubber. Hilarious!
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Here is the Foster Brooks ad on safe boating I was on about. If it doesn't supply you with giant guffaws, well, you mustn't have a sense of humour.

Regards from
Donald Binks

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm

bobfells wrote:The two most famous screen drunks in the 1930s were Arthur Housman and Jack Norton, and both looked the part. But Norton was a teetotaler while Housman really was an alcoholic.

A few years ago I caught a rare early talkie musical called Song of Love (1929), a vehicle for Belle Baker. She plays a vaudeville performer whose stage partner & husband Tom—played by Ralph Graves—leaves her and hits the skids. A fellow vaudevillian, an acrobat named Joe, finds Tom sitting in a saloon blotto drunk, and delivers an impassioned temperance lecture, telling Tom he simply must quit drinking and pull himself together.

Joe the acrobat is played by an uncharacteristically clear-eyed, clean-cut Arthur Housman. Which would be funny, only it’s kind of sad.
-- Charlie Morrow

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 am

The thing is, Fields didn't play a drunk. He played a man who loved booze, but he didn't play a drunk. He was not Arthur Houseman or Foster Brooks.

Jim

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 am

Here's a clip of Fields in a scene from his first feature film, Janice Meredith (1924), starring Marion Davies. They had appeared in Ziegfeld's 1916 "Follies."

https://youtu.be/Rm2BkhgW9Ko

Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:57 pm

50 years ago this Tuesday, a film was released which would rank with the works that changed the medium... a masterpiece of science fiction visuals, from the effects of spaceships to the makeup of apes on the first step of evolution to men. NitrateVille salutes Stanley Kubrick's landmark 1968 film, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Mike . . . uh . . . from here, it looks like a mashup of 2001 and PLANET OF THE APES . . . so help me, Dr. Zaius . . . oh, wait, I just looked at the calendar . . .

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:13 am

I pledge allegiance to the slab of the united apes of America.

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
— Bob Fells

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:08 am

I can still recall when I first saw this picture - shortly after it first came out. I sat there in amazement at the scenes of how life would be in the future. Those scenes particularly where a rocket ship to the moon was being treated in the same manner almost as we now take travelling in an aeroplane for granted. I was fascinated in finding that each seat had its own private television screen.

It was a long film. I thought that the scenes at the beginning with the monkeys was over long and I have never understood all of that which happened after all that psychedelic kaleidoscope of colours sequence. Still, it was beautifully photographed and the scenes in space were the most convincing I have seen on the screen.

A lot of the predictions contained in the film have seen fruition and some are yet to come. Nothing was so outlandish that we could laugh at the suggestions fifty years down the track. The film still has relevance to those who today may be seeing it for the first time.
Regards from
Donald Binks

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:56 am

May the Force live long and prosper for those damned, dirty apes.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:51 am

Well, that was an April Fool's joke, but I do want to note 2001's 50th anniversary Tuesday before returning the masthead to NitrateVille's more typical time period. Many people mark the line between old and new movies in different ways, usually related, I suspect, to their own growing up—so Leonard Maltin puts it at 1960 in his books (when he was 10). More recently I see a lot of younger writers putting it at 1980 (which is plausible as a line between the 70s movie-movie generation and the era of big corporations and home video). But for NitrateVille, in my head it's always been around around 1967 or 1968, when the new G-M-R-X ratings system reflected the fall of the old censorship regime, and as far as one film goes, 2001 seems to me to straddle the line between Old Hollywood and New, Stanley Kubrick, like Lumet, Penn, Frankenheimer and others, definitely a product of one era but one of the filmmakers who led us into the other.

And of course 2001 is a technical achievement non pareil, all analog (even the computer stuff is faked, basically slides pretending to be computer displays) yet visually distinctive and memorable in a way that few things since have been, despite the fact of all you can do now so much more easily with CGI. So... 50 years ago Tuesday, we saw a future that came true in some ways (iPads and lots of channels) and not in others (space turned out to not be worth the trouble so far), but changed the movies in so many ways.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:53 am

Especially evocative of an era when the director could pick his nose while shooting a scene.

Bob
— Bob Fells

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:06 am

Deliberately buried.

JFK

Coward

Unread post by JFK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:35 am

ImageImage

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:28 am

At last, a masthead in which I can not only identify the subject on sight, but its source.

Bob
— Bob Fells

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:30 am

The future (of 17 years ago) having been paid tribute to, we return to the more usual past with a tribute to the imminent release of The Round-Up, starring Roscoe Arbuckle, from Cinemuseum. Arbuckle was on the masthead long ago, but as supporting man to Harry Houdini in that photo, so here's his starring debut.