Automatic log-in

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
Jim Roots

Automatic log-in

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:33 pm

I noticed the addition of an option to be automatically logged-in on the site. It doesn't seem to be working yet, or else I don't know how to work it. I click on the box, but the next time I hit this site, I still have to log in manually.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:53 pm

My guess is you have a no-cookies setting or something like that's overruling the auto-login feature. It works for me (and we've had it since day 1, btw).
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Jim,
If you are using Internet Explorer, go to the main page and try Tools->Privacy Report and it will tell you if cookies are restricted.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:30 am

Oh, you need cookies for that. Okay, that explains it. Thanks!

Jim

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 am

I'm also having trouble staying logged in. I recently switched my Internet connection from dial-up to broadband.

When I had dial-up, I still had to sign in manually about every third or fourth time I accessed the site, even though I had cookies enabled. Now that I have broadband, I have to sign in manually every time, even though I check the automatic log-in box, and I still have cookies enabled. What gives?

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:16 am

Dan, all I can suggest is that your Nitrateville "cookie" is messed up. You could try deleting cookies, but that is a pain because it deletes all of them, and you probably have some other automatic logins set up. If you are on a PC and using Internet Explorer, you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Cookies and delete anything with "nitrateville" in the filename.

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 am

The cookies stick at the office, at home I use Firefox and the cookies do not stick. I'll have to check my settings, thanks for the tips!
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 am

I've enabled and deleted cookies, reduced my privacy settings, and even put NitrateVille.com on a list in Privacy to always allow cookies, but I still can't stay logged in. I haven't yet discovered where the cookies are hiding so I can delete specific cookies (I can't find a "Documents and Settings" folder here).

In case you need this info, I'm using an HP laptop, Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 8.

CoffeeDan

Where there's a will . . .

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:19 pm

UPDATE: So far, I still can't stay logged in on IE8. When I do log in, my sign-in time is the same as the time of my last visit. As a result, I can't view the latest posts.

But I recently downloaded both the Firefox and Opera browsers, and have had no trouble staying logged in when I use them. For my use, Opera is more user-friendly.

In fact, I like Opera so much I've put all my favorite movie message boards (including NitrateVille, plus IMDb) on its Speed Dial screen. Now when I click on Opera, they all open at once! Too cool!

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm using IE version six, so I'm guessing that it is a problem with IE 8, or with the message board software.