# 2 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Silencebound

# 2 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Unread post by Silencebound » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:59 am

Finally finished this 3 weeks job on cropping ( madness experience I'd ever had ! ) frames and restored all the frames by removing all the easily eye-catchin' cement-spliced sections of the 35mm fragment roll. Just 85 seconds long, and it looks nicely done. No frill. Let's watch this video titled "# 2 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND ! ( in 1080p HD )", as you'd be damned happy about the high-resolution video presentation, not whammy 360p YouTube video ! The 90ft fragment was found in UK, as this film is "The Midlanders" ( USA - 1920 - Silent - 16.75 F.P.S.). I have revamped this video with several additional informations. My big thanks are due to syd. :D
Well, let's try and see how if you reacted to it's 16.75 FPS speed with stars' natural pacing movements.

Last edited by Silencebound on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/" target="_blank and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Christopher Jacobs

Re: # 2 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:16 am

Wow, that print looks gorgeous! It's so frustrating to see just that brief fragment.

The girl looks a lot like Bessie Love to me, but I could be mistaken. I don't recognize any others. I'd love to see the complete movie, however (especially in such beautiful condition and in 1080p).

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:04 am

Thanks, Chris ! Well, however, please notice at the intertitle's company logo marked 'AJC', as several Nitrateville members has concluded that it is somewhat referred to 'Alfred Cheney Johnston', as after I googled about him but nothing specifically related to his photographic works as he doesn't even worked at any Motion Picture companies ! Bessie Love is somewhat 'matched' to that actress in the fragment film. I'm not sure that she is actually the one. Searching is craze painful ass ! If, well, this fragment is actually a lost one then we are celebrating for it's little discovery along with this sheer great website, Nitrateville ! :)
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/" target="_blank and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Yes, the young girl looks like Bessie Love to me also. This sounds like a job for "Mostly Lost 3"!

Rob

Unread post by Rob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:10 pm

I think Chris is correct, that is Bessie Love. She made a lot of films during the late teens and early 20s, but this sure looks like something from around 1917 through 1920 to me.

Rob

syd

Unread post by syd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Scratch my previous post. This looks to me to be The Midlanders (1920) with Bessie Love.
The producer is Andrew J. Callagan. (AJC) The older lady resembles Frances Raymond. She played
the mother of Buster Keaton's girlfriend in Seven Chances.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0011460/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Gotcha !! Syd is probably right ! :mrgreen: The film is "The Midlanders" ( 1920 ), and there's Jack Donovan who he is speaking to pitiful Bessie Love at end of this fragment. I also have checked at Frances Raymond's other movie classic 'Seven Chances' as Buster Keaton's girlfriend's mother which exactly matched her face in this 35mm fragment. Wonderful find, Syd !! I have an US-imported Blu-Ray copy of Kino's "Seven Chances" so that I easily spot her elderly face which fits to her scenes in "The Midlanders". Well, this film 'THE MIDLANDERS' is actually a lost film but I got it so preciously for this website and YouTube. Too bad about the shortest 85 seconds fragment but I'm working on to continues searching for more especially any reminding footages of this lost classic movie. Good on you, Andrew J. Callagan ! :D
Last edited by Silencebound on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

Unread post by Rob » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:59 pm

Bingo!

-Rob

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 am

Here's the Synopsis, provided by TCM.

Aurelie, an orphan, escapes from a New Orleans convent and is adopted by Mississippi riverboat captain Lindstrom. So that she can have a more settled life, he sends her to live with his brother, John Lindstrom, a squatter in a small river valley town. There she develops into a beautiful woman and wins a newspaper's beauty contest, attracting an offer from a theatrical producer, which she accepts. She rapidly achieves success, but when she returns to town, she is spurned. Newspaper editor Wiley Curran and Harlan Van Hart, the college-educated son of Judge and Mrs. Van Hart, are both interested in her, but Aurelie ends up with Arney Vance.

Does Aurelie looks like a beauty contester ? I can't wait to see the complete version of "The Midlanders". :(

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 pm

:( Hopefully more of the picture shows up. It looks interesting. Great detective work guys! :wink:

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:38 am

Is it confirmed as a lost film then? If so, how come TCM know so much about it? Do they have an archival copy would anyone know?

Silencebound; I notice that you live in Australia. What is the story of you obtaining the nitrate film from England?? Can you share that with us? Where do you find this film from as I have followed your other works of art on Youtube as well.

I have to apologise for my second thread on this topic also. I didn't notice this one.

Richard P. May

Unread post by Richard P. May » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 am

The "TCM Catalog" is actually the American Film Institute catalog. This was created over a number of years with meticulous research, whether the film survives or not. It does not mean that TCM has any access to the movies listed.
Dick May

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 am

I have researched at the actual frame projection speeds of the silent-era projectors prior to mid 20's, as the normal motion-paced of human beings walking around something like that is just at 16 FPS, not 20 FPS that I made it from Windows Movie maker that have 0.05 second per frame to capped 1 second worth of 20 frames. That is sheer wrong ! I should HAVE to insert '0.06' in the duration icon, to gain the correct motion speed. I will have to pull this uploaded video down and change it into speed 16 FPS of the 35mm fragment. Also, the fragment running time was '70 seconds', but actually it's 85 seconds long when projected it in 16 FPS. I'm very sorry to have you all messed-up and will overhaul it due tomorrow afternoon. :oops:
Well, I got the fragments from UK which came from eBay that sold it for $55 as I am working for more fragments like like this one around 100ft stocks being unwittingly sold away for the toy 35mm projectors. This is not known nor being existed here in Australia during on it's hey day but was placed in Japan which I bought a toy 35mm film roll of LION brand cartoon titled in Japanese language but I found that it was came from Fleischer's Popeye cartoon short "Little Swee' Pea" ( USA - Fleischer - 1936 ). I think that it is a Safety film, but not sure. Well, see this pixs, and . . .

That's what I tried to crop around the sides after scanned all the 300 frames, but most frames is badly shaken and unstabled !! Bad laboratory job and so-slimed done ! :(

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 pm

Just a quick note regarding frame-per-second speeds...

Until the standardization of sound films in 1926-27 at 24 fps, there was no single frame rate for every film. Each film must be viewed on a case-by-case basis for what looks "natural," although they were usually projected about one to three frames faster per second than they were photographed (and were edited with that slight speedup in mind).

While it doesn't apply to every silent film, a good quick "rule" to go by is to use a frame rate approximately equal to last two digits of the year the film was made, with a minimum of about 14 and a maximum of 30. Thus, a 1914 film might look best at close to 14 fps, 1916 film might look good at about 16 fps, a 1917 film at 17 fps, a 1920 film at 20 fps, a 1922 film at 22 fps, etc. By about 1926-27, even silent films were run at pretty close to 24 fps, though might look better around 22 or 23 fps, or even at 25 or 26 fps. Individual theatres of course would often run them at different speeds at different times of the day.

The Bessie Love clip you transferred looks quite fine at 20 fps, and might look okay around 18 or 19 fps, but I think 16 fps will make it look like slight slow-motion.

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Very interesting ! Has never imagined why it 'should' be at same equality of the year and the F.P.S. rate speed altogether !
To make everything seemingly perfect presentation, I have changed the frame speed from 20 to 16.75 FPS, not obviously flat 16 FPS. My reason to noticed that the stars' motion movement is bit faster, especially the gentleman lover socially with three other girls around him indoor after eldery lady opened the curtain. His head rotated so frenziedly fast when at 20 FPS, so I reduced him at 16.75 so that his head turning around reasonable paced with his thrilling expression. And as Bessie Love running away to hide around the tree's leaves, the 16.75 fps version is okay to me but not at 20 fps. That's as same as Jack Donovan who is following her at his normal walking pace at 16.75 fps. Well, please view the new video far above of this page, and what do you think ? :)
Last edited by Silencebound on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:53 am

I think that speed looks very natural, not too slow and not too fast. It's actually a bit unusual that a film from as late as 1920 would run so slow, just under 17 fps, but this was an independent and lower-budget production so maybe they were more interested in saving film costs by cranking slower. Most major studio productions from that time usually seem to look best somewhere between 18-21 fps, with comedies a frame or two faster. The 1919 Paramount film THE WITNESS FOR THE DEFENSE looks just right at 25 fps (a standard PAL transfer)!

I hope more of THE MIDLANDERS turns up someday, especially if it's in such good condition. I always like watching Bessie Love, and a complete version would be one of the few surviving Lloyd Bacon acting performances before he became a director (he can be seen in a couple of Wm. S. Hart films and a few Chaplin shorts).

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:19 am

How funny to noted that they is cranking the camera slower for their film budget reason ! Probably must be, as I agrees with your thought. :P
Now, well, I'm working on cropping the new third fragment project along with Italian-language intertitles of 1915-1919 lost film which runs about 30 seconds. Will upload it here very soon. I also have an another fragment of similar blue-tinted footage ( about the same length footage of # 2 fragment ), possibly something like of that was came from "The Midlanders" but not sure. But I can reveal the intertitles from that 90ft fragment roll :-

NARRATION INTERTITLE :-
Meanwhile, the Count fondly
imagined he was leading Dodo.
- like a lamb to the slaughter.
( then fade-out )

And the second intertitle reads :-

I want the Royal Suite -
just for one night."

That's it. It is my fourth scanning film project and will take some time to be done. Well, I wishes that Bessie Love is in there . . . :?

syd

Unread post by syd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:51 pm

There was a movie titled Our Little Wife (1918) where the leading
character was a woman named Dodo Warren played by Madge
Kennedy. The cast list doesn't mention a Count but it could be incomplete.

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:34 am

Please see it at '# 4 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !', and please kindly judge it to see if she's actual Madge Kennedy.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 pm

No, the girl in Fragment #4 is definitely not Madge Kennedy.

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:16 am

Let's hope not that some other movie topics 'n' pixs being mixed-up in this article log of "The Midlanders" page. But here again pin-up three new pix and posters of the classic 'lost' 1920 film - My deepest thanks to Wikipedia.org for providing the information possible. :)

Sadly, no more fragments of this movie yet to be founded. Well, I'll pushin' myself to search for any remaining footage of it that awaiting to come at my hand, sooner the better . . . :(