Anyone notice a decline in eBay film items in the past year?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Darren Nemeth

Anyone notice a decline in eBay film items in the past year?

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:18 pm

I have a list of about 90+ items in my eBay "saved searches". Most are film / silent era related.

However, over the past year or two I've had a huge reduction in email notifications. I just checked tonight and the majority of keywords that previously brought up 10 - 15 auctions at any given time are now show zero.

Has anyone else noticed a sharp decline in eBay selling of film related items??

If so, what do you think are the reasons?

I miss bidding on Keystone 35mm toy projectors that came with film! :cry:
"How to Film Moving Pictures in the 1910's" by Darren Nemeth
https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/h ... the-1910s/

Ray Faiola

Re: Anyone notice a decline in eBay selling in the past year

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm

I had five features listed that all closed and sold tonight One went for $566.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

sc1957

Re: Anyone notice a decline in eBay film items in the past y

Unread post by sc1957 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 am

As someone who occasionally bids on ebay items and who also sells items of my own, and has done so for a period of ten years or so, I can think of three reasons:

1) The U.S. economy is still in the gutter for many people.

2) Ebay and Paypal charges never decline.

3) As any given film recedes further into the past, fewer people are interested. Sellers figure this out and don't bother to offer these items.
Scott Cameron

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:53 pm

I think a lot of it is the krazy e**y policies that have effectively driven off the mom and pop sellers. When it was essentially the world's biggest garage sale stuff popped up all the time from random people in random places, now it's infested with sellers who have survived the Feedback Wars flogging the same overpriced junk week after week, with none of the spontaneity of items there used to be. That, and rock and roll. I blame hippies and rock and roll.

That said, the occasional treasure slips by. Just scored a lobby card featuring Tina Modotti (more famous as a photographer, protege, and lover of Edward Weston and Diego Rivera) from The Tiger's Coat. What used to require weeks of patience is now taking months.

--Peter

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:44 am

Darren, maybe you've simply bought everything that was out there.

Jim

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03 pm

oldposterho wrote:I think a lot of it is the krazy e**y policies that have effectively driven off the mom and pop sellers. When it was essentially the world's biggest garage sale stuff popped up all the time from random people in random places, now it's infested with sellers who have survived the Feedback Wars flogging the same overpriced junk week after week, with none of the spontaneity of items there used to be. That, and rock and roll. I blame hippies and rock and roll.

That said, the occasional treasure slips by. Just scored a lobby card featuring Tina Modotti (more famous as a photographer, protege, and lover of Edward Weston and Diego Rivera) from The Tiger's Coat. What used to require weeks of patience is now taking months.

--Peter

You are absolutely on target in your first sentence. The whole DSR ratings nonsense and "customer is always right" mentality has destroyed many a seller and run off loads of others and made those who remain very wary, particularly in selling low-cost items (it seems these buyers are the worst about complaining), who wants to sell a original still for $1 when the newbie buyer might give you a negative or low feedback because they expected a 50-year-old still listed in "very good" condition to seem brand new.

It also appears silent fans just don't collect memorabilia, perhaps due to the economy but also maybe due to age (most of them are at least well into middle age). It's hard to sell anything from the silent era at a price such an old item deserves - I'm not talking back side of $100 but even just $30-50 for lobby cards, vintage photos, magazines, and the like. Most sellers just decide to keep the items rather than lowering the prices to below what they paid for them ten years (or more) ago.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Darren, are you talking about there being less things to buy on Ebay, or that you aren't receiving alerts for things that are for sale? If the latter, I'm having the same problem. I think they must have changed their search algorithm or something. I have a saved search for an Australian magazine called The Photoplayer. For years, this worked just fine, but in the past few months it's been sending me results for 'Photoplay' as well, which aren't helpful to me. I fiddled around with the search terms but nothing seemed to change it. It's really odd.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:38 pm

Brooksie wrote:Darren, are you talking about there being less things to buy on Ebay, or that you aren't receiving alerts for things that are for sale? If the latter, I'm having the same problem. I think they must have changed their search algorithm or something. I have a saved search for an Australian magazine called The Photoplayer. For years, this worked just fine, but in the past few months it's been sending me results for 'Photoplay' as well, which aren't helpful to me. I fiddled around with the search terms but nothing seemed to change it. It's really odd.
Both.
"How to Film Moving Pictures in the 1910's" by Darren Nemeth
https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/h ... the-1910s/

TheThinMan

Unread post by TheThinMan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:13 pm

sc1957 is correct with all three statements. And to add, the policies and star ratings caused too many sellers to seek other venues to sell their items. I had over 10,000 positive ratings and 99.8 percent positive feedback. All it took was three customers in the same month with high expectations to file claims with 3 stars instead of 5 because they didn't think a $30 Criterion BluRay was good enough. One man bought THE WOLFMAN on BluRay with Lon Chaney, Jr., and then filed fraud against me because there wasn't enough werewolf in the movie. As if that was something I had control over. Another man bought an item on Tuesday and Wednesday evening posted negative feedback for slow delivery. Three negatives in one month caused eBay to suspend my account. Talking to a rep on the phone is like arguing with a rock.

As a buyer, I made contacts and saved addresses of people I dealt with. I have a large list of contacts for posters, photos, movies, etc. I know the vendors and I know I won't have a problem buying from them at any time. None of them that I know of are on eBay. But from a seller viewpoint, it sucks.