# 18 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Silencebound

# 18 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Unread post by Silencebound » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 am

Went thru almost well at this recently-founded # 18 lost film from Japan without a hitch, just only bit over a week or so, with the Second Japanese Anime short in it's abridged version only. The Theatrical-released version film is believed to be lost after googled for the exact title in Japanese language but none was found especially from Japan Film Preservation society in Yokohama. The abridged film's story plot seemingly be out of the focus due to shorten the pace of storytelling element which does happens to many other abridged Amine shorts designed for 35mm toy projectors marketed in Japan. Well, really to say, I don't know whether if this # 18 film was being dye-printed something like 'Safety' film stock for hand-cranked toy projectors as opposite to Theatrical-release 35mm Nitrate film stocks with better picture resolution. Please ID this 1080p video to see how clearly is the picture resolution of this film, "Ninjutsu Chibisuke : Bandit Extermination" in it's 35mm film stock. I'm not to blame if this film is not Nitrate, but the complete version is lost, see ? Previously, the '# 15' fragment of Anime short is actually Nitrate film stock. Well, see this # 18 film and enjoy. :)

Last edited by Silencebound on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/" target="_blank and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Silencebound

Re: # 18 - Lost 35mm Nitrate Film FOUND !

Unread post by Silencebound » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:36 pm

This # 18 film probably came from the legendary Japanese Animator Noburo Ofuji ( 1900 - 1961 ), as his many other cartoon shorts before war is unfortunately lost including this one but yet only survived in it's abridged version only. His few survived short films was probably drawn by other animator named Nobuo Oyama including "Tenju Taiji" ( 天狗退治 - Japan - 1934 - talkie ), which Director Ofuji is uncredited but not sure. Well, there's some Anime shorts existing out there but great majority of Abridged versions only, say something like around a minute depending on 16 fps or 20 fps. :|
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/" target="_blank and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Looks interesting. Would be better if I could understand the titles that occasionally appear. Can you post translations of those?

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Yes, I'm working on it as I've sent four Japanese dialogue lines to Human translator by e-mail, yesterday. Few of the Japanese Kanji characters is old ( film released before the war ) which was later replaced with modern Kanji characters. After when I received the full English translation, then I'll revamp it with adjustable 'CC' implanted in the same # 18 video. Stay tuned ! :)

Silencebound

Unread post by Silencebound » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Christopher Jacobs wrote:Looks interesting. Would be better if I could understand the titles that occasionally appear. Can you post translations of those?
Chris, your wish has been granted ! Here's the new English-translation subtitles now finally available on YT video. Just click the 'CC' icon on/off to take a closer peek at it to gain the worthwhile benefit of the storytelling element. Well, if it bothers you then you can turn it off anytime. :)

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:48 am

Silencebound wrote:
Christopher Jacobs wrote:Looks interesting. Would be better if I could understand the titles that occasionally appear. Can you post translations of those?
Chris, your wish has been granted ! Here's the new English-translation subtitles now finally available on YT video. Just click the 'CC' icon on/off to take a closer peek at it to gain the worthwhile benefit of the storytelling element. Well, if it bothers you then you can turn it off anytime. :)
Thanks so much! Finally got around to watching it with the captions. It makes a lot more sense now, although the heavy abridgement from the original still leaves quite a few confusing gaps. Otherwise it's a cute cartoon. Maybe someday the complete film will eventually be found.