Stand Up and Cheer (1934)

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Jim Reid

Stand Up and Cheer (1934)

Unread post by Jim Reid » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Does the original 80 minute cut of this film still exist? It's sold as a Shirley Temple film, but although it's her first Fox feature, she's only in it for a couple of minutes. I know the 11 minutes cut out was mostly racial stuff, but I find this kind of film very interesting and would really like to see the original release version.

Brooksie

Re: Stand Up and Cheer (1934)

Unread post by Brooksie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:47 pm

TCM's notes don't answer your question, but they do shed some light on why the Stepin Fetchit scenes were removed - at the legal request of Stepin Fetchit himself, apparently.

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:23 am

The longer version does exist, and there are 16mm TV prints out there. I sincerely doubt that Lincoln "Stepin Fetchit" Perry would have had anything to say about it. Fox was circulating complete prints for years after he passed away.

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:47 am

I think there's a misunderstanding here . . .

Lincoln Perry, aka Stepin Fetchit, sued to have his scenes from STAND UP AND CHEER and IN OLD KENTUCKY removed from the 1968 CBS documentary BLACK HISTORY: LOST, STOLEN OR STRAYED (the correct title). He claimed the documentary used those scenes to depict him "as a tool of the white man who betrayed the members of his race and [who] earned two million dollars portraying Negroes as inferior human beings."

In other words, he sued to have the scenes removed from the documentary, not the original Fox films.

Bob Birchard

Unread post by Bob Birchard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:26 am

In fact, much of Perry'performance in SUAC is rather "subversive" if you really listen to the dialogue. This is true of his performances in other films, as well. The TV documentary treated Perry's work in a smarmy and condescending manner. I recall a scene from one of Perry's Will Rogers movies. Stepin Fetchit (Perry) walks up to Rogers and starts to talk, but immediately the volume is lowered and the narrator says something like, . . . And if a great American like Will Rogers condoned such demeaning portrayals, how could one expect the average American to find anything wrong in them? There was no effort to try to explore Perry's work, just to smear him as a sell-out who danced to "whitey's" marionette strings. Perry had reason to be outraged over his depiction in that doc.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Ah, thanks CoffeeDan - I misread.