Shopping for video hosting sites

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

Shopping for video hosting sites

Unread post by Daniel D. Teoli Jr. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 am

I joined YouTube a few weeks ago. I uploaded my first 5 vintage films and they gave me 2 strikes and removed them. YT seems to give out strikes at a whim. They took out a vintage 'bra and panty' bondage film I uploaded and left in an explicit but rare early sound sex film? YT also left in a lower grade copy of the same bra and panties film that did not have the original music. Why don't they take out the crapper copy and not the better version? The other strike was for Deanna Durbin. They got lots of Durbin clips but decided they would strike mine down.

2 strikes out of 5 is not a good record. I have a few hundred more films to upload so the future looks dim for me YT. I was wondering what else is out there for video and found this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... g_services" target="_blank

Will have to see what is practical to use for my archive. I put films up on the Internet Archive, but the films have trouble being viewed, at least on my equipment unless I download them to view. I never tried Vimeo. I read they wont go for sex, so didn't bother. I got a big sex archive from 1920 to 1950's. To me it is history.

Spiny Norman

Re: Shopping for video hosting sites

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 am

Daniel D. Teoli Jr. wrote:I joined YouTube a few weeks ago. I uploaded my first 5 vintage films and they gave me 2 strikes and removed them. YT seems to give out strikes at a whim. They took out a vintage 'bra and panty' bondage film I uploaded and left in an explicit but rare early sound sex film? YT also left in a lower grade copy of the same bra and panties film that did not have the original music. Why don't they take out the crapper copy and not the better version? The other strike was for Deanna Durbin. They got lots of Durbin clips but decided they would strike mine down.

2 strikes out of 5 is not a good record. I have a few hundred more films to upload so the future looks dim for me YT. I was wondering what else is out there for video and found this list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_v ... g_services" target="_blank" target="_blank

Will have to see what is practical to use for my archive. I put films up on the Internet Archive, but the films have trouble being viewed, at least on my equipment unless I download them to view. I never tried Vimeo. I read they wont go for sex, so didn't bother. I got a big sex archive from 1920 to 1950's. To me it is history.
You can technically also host a video player on a website server, but you'd have to build a website and pay for the web space.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

Unread post by Daniel D. Teoli Jr. » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:17 am

Well, if I hit the lotto I will give it a try and hire someone to build a website. But as I posted to another thread...websites only last as long as the bills are paid.

I'm an archivist so hate censorship and impermanence of any sort. In fact YT was the leading force that got me interested in film preservation. Years ago I was watching a vid about an art gallery at lunch on YT and only got through half of it. The next day at lunch it was gone...copyright issue. That opened up my eye to how impermanent the internet is.

YT has 2 upload options I may try...Private and Unlisted. Maybe they will leave my stuff alone.

Anyone try these 2 options and still have problems with YT censorship?

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Daniel D. Teoli Jr. wrote:Well, if I hit the lotto I will give it a try and hire someone to build a website. But as I posted to another thread...websites only last as long as the bills are paid.

I'm an archivist so hate censorship and impermanence of any sort. In fact YT was the leading force that got me interested in film preservation. Years ago I was watching a vid about an art gallery at lunch on YT and only got through half of it. The next day at lunch it was gone...copyright issue. That opened up my eye to how impermanent the internet is.

YT has 2 upload options I may try...Private and Unlisted. Maybe they will leave my stuff alone.

Anyone try these 2 options and still have problems with YT censorship?

I recommend shopping around for a website hosting service, and checking to see what tools they offer in building a site.

Not all sites require Wordpress or a content management system; it depends on the starting size of your site (it can always be migrated to another platform later on). Also find out what the service requires in the way of vid hosting, etc.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:43 pm

It should be no mystery why some of your uploads were removed---nudity or material that is of a bad moral nature can be pulled any time from YouTube. I know there is a lot of junk already on that site, but I would only post decent historical material and leave the nasty stuff alone.

History? That old time "adult" material is just as immoral as the modern stuff....maybe worse.

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:24 am

Maybe Daily Motion?
http://www.dailymotion.com/en/channel/shortfilms" target="_blank