Knocking Out Knockout Kelly-1916

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Hamilton's Grandson

Knocking Out Knockout Kelly-1916

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Another 16 mm (nearly complete) film from a collector in Quebec that I had digitized last month is "Knocking Out Knockout Kelly-1916".

Missing the first few title frames, cast, and the last 3 minutes, but the rest is good enough condition to view even though some scratches throughout.

Short comedy on one reel by Vogue Productions with cast; Arthur Moon, Paddy Mcguire, Jack Gaines, and Priscilla Barnes and directed by John Francis Dillon with adaptation by Robert A. Dillon.

A very funny comedy with Paddy Mcguire and Arthur Moon who appeared in the Bungling Bill Character comedies at about the same time period as well as Mcguire appearing in a few short comedies with Charlie Chaplin from 1915-1916. Unfortunately, Moon passed away in 1918 and Mcguire by 1923.

Does anyone know if this short comedy exists in any archive? or anywhere else?

Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Steve Massa

Re: Knocking Out Knockout Kelly-1916

Unread post by Steve Massa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi Dana - the images you posted are actually from the 12/5/1926 Fox Comedy THE BATTLING KANGAROO. The two actors in the scan are star Lige Conley on the right, and George Gray on the left. I see that they use images from BATTLING KANGAROO on the imdb entry for KNOCKING OUT KNOCKOUT KELLY. Do those images match your film? If so it's BATTLING KANGAROO, which circulates a lot on 16mm. In BATTLING KANGAROO the boxer Knockout Kelly is played by Al Kaufman, the girl is Mildred June, and George Gray's sideshow worker sidekick is a young Sterling Holloway. It was directed by a young Jules White, and Fox followed this one up with a couple more "Kangaroo" shorts such as A KANGAROO DETECTIVE and A KANGAROO'S KIMONO (both 1927).

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi Steve ,

Wow. Thanks for the reply. I will update imdb pro immediately. The film can was marked with the title I posted and since the reel was not complete, I wasn't sure if it matched the description of the 1916 comedy that I found on lantern and the one photo on lantern from Knocking Out Knockout Kelly as there was not alot of material to compare to. I am glad that I did not pay much for the reel especially if it is available already. I think the 1916 title is LOST , but I am sure many of the Mostly Lost events that I missed over the years are much like my example above where it is easy to go down the wrong road when trying to identify the film. Since I am a very good sport, I am not going to delete this post to save my face, but chalk it up as a learning experience.

Have you personally seen the "Battling Kangaroo" 1925 ? I was in tears yesterday watching what I have on DVD. Funny!

Steve Massa

Unread post by Steve Massa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Dana - I have seen BATTLING KANGAROO (I have it on an old VHS tape somewhere) and it's very funny. It's also a trip to see Sterling Holloway as a skinny kid. I've managed to see two of Lige Conley's shorts for Fox - KANGAROO and MATRIMONY BLUES ('26), and they've both very good.

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am

Hi Steve,

I have always appreciated your knowledge on these short comedies.

I am sure there is another copy somewhere that is in better condition than all the linear scratches on this reel. I am a much bigger fan of 35 mm nitrate which holds up better to projection scratching and is much better material to work with in terms of digitized clarity, but of course suffers from all of the nitrate risks of deterioration.

I have been a bit disappointed with some of the 16 mm film that are being sold on line lately, but it makes sense based on their age.

Regards,
Dana

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:33 pm

This title, The Battling Kangaroos 1926, is one of the 3 titles on the grapevine DVD "The Films of Lige Conley (1924-1926)".