Kind of OT: Mystery Hal Roach TV show. "The Actors' Hou

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
Darren Nemeth

Kind of OT: Mystery Hal Roach TV show. "The Actors' Hou

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:54 pm

Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places but I have a film print of an hour long TV show called "The Actors' Hour."

Kodak date code is 1954. Main titles say this.

Hal Roach Presents...

Fay Bainter

in "The Actors' Hour"

with Onslow Stevens as her Guest Star

I bought this on eBay about two years ago because Lon Chaney Jr. was in it. However, he was just in short a clip from OF MICE AND MEN.

Finally got around to putting it on eBay, however, this turns out to be a mystery show.

I get stumped on identifying my silent nitrate at times but was really surprised today that I can't find anything on this show on the internet.

Would anyone know what I have here? IMDB.com is of no help. There is no copyright record for this show at http://www.copyright.gov/records/

This show presents stage actors in several short stories. Most of the acting is in the Grand Manner. Definately a TV show of its own time.

Here is a folder with frame closeups including some of the credits. http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/eb ... playhouse/

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 pm

There is not an "Actor's Hour" series listed in Richard Ward's A History of the Hal Roach Studios. Most of the shows listed that were shot at the studio in the 1950s were half-hour shows. Maybe it was a pilot for a series that was not picked up by a network.
Last edited by silentfilm on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:50 pm

silentfilm wrote:There is not an "Actor's Hour" series listed in Richard Ward's A History of the Hal Roach Studios[/b]. Most of the shows listed that were shot at the studio in the 1950s were half-hour shows. Maybe it was a pilot for a series that was not picked up by a network.

Cool.

I presume this is PD, then, except for the OF MICE AND MEN clip.

Glad I didn't put it on eBay. :)

Would this be Hal Roach Sr. or Jr. ?

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Hal Roach, Jr. produced most of the television shows, and also rented out the studio to other producers. But Roach senior might have had something to do with this production. From Richard Ward's book,

Roach Sr. envisioned splitting his one-hour shows into smaller components, generally stated as two fifteen-minute shorts and a thirty-minute "feature." Although Rocah would maintain his enthusiasm for subdividing a one-hour block well into the early 1950s, he was never able to sell anyone on the concept. (page 140)

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:36 pm

silentfilm wrote:Hal Roach, Jr. produced most of the television shows, and also rented out the studio to other producers. But Roach senior might have had something to do with this production. From Richard Ward's book,

Roach Sr. envisioned splitting his one-hour shows into smaller components, generally stated as two fifteen-minute shorts and a thirty-minute "feature." Although Rocah would maintain his enthusiasm for subdividing a one-hour block well into the early 1950s, he was never able to sell anyone on the concept. (page 140)
Thanks for the info. :)

Chris Snowden

Re: Kind of OT: Mystery Hal Roach TV show. "The Actors'

Unread post by Chris Snowden » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Darren Nemeth wrote: Would anyone know what I have here? IMDB.com is of no help. There is no copyright record for this show at http://www.copyright.gov/records/

This is a pilot for a show that never sold, and was never broadcast.

I had a print of a Hal Roach TV pilot once, for a proposed Passing Parade series. It was okay but nothing special, so one year I brought it to Cinecon, in a boxful of prints to sell at my dealer's table. The print sold in ten minutes, before I was even done setting up my stuff, and before the dealers' room had officially opened.

You could probably get a very good price for your print on eBay, if you pump it as a Hal Roach rarity (which it is).
-------------------------------------
Chris Snowden
https://televisiondiary.wordpress.com" target="_blank

Darren Nemeth

Re: Kind of OT: Mystery Hal Roach TV show. "The Actors'

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Chris Snowden wrote:
Darren Nemeth wrote: Would anyone know what I have here? IMDB.com is of no help. There is no copyright record for this show at http://www.copyright.gov/records/

This is a pilot for a show that never sold, and was never broadcast.

I had a print of a Hal Roach TV pilot once, for a proposed Passing Parade series. It was okay but nothing special, so one year I brought it to Cinecon, in a boxful of prints to sell at my dealer's table. The print sold in ten minutes, before I was even done setting up my stuff, and before the dealers' room had officially opened.

You could probably get a very good price for your print on eBay, if you pump it as a Hal Roach rarity (which it is).
Crap!!!! I thought I got ripped off on it! Paid over $80 and bid on an impulse. Have always kicked myself whenever I saw the reels on the shelf!

:shock:

:oops:

I may as well put the non-Chaney portions on video, then.

Would this be a unique print or would there have been others made?

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:47 pm

This is one high falutin program.

I just can't get over stuff like this thats in it.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:59 am

If the clip is under a minute, I think that that "fair use" applies and you wouldn't be violating copyright.