THE LAMBETH WALK. Will it ever get on DVD?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
Changsham

THE LAMBETH WALK. Will it ever get on DVD?

Unread post by Changsham » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Just wondering whether their is a possibility of hit musical film THE LAMBETH WALK 1939 starring Lupino Lane and Sally Grey ever getting a decent DVD release. I understand the BFI have it and there may be a poor bootleg around. Does anyone know if there are missing elements or other problems preventing this important film being released?

boblipton

Re: THE LAMBETH WALK. Will it ever get on DVD?

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Judging by the revival of the stage show a few decades ago that played Broadway, it's a silly little thing sustained by the sheer skills and charisma of its star, Lupino Lane. I've got the title song, sung by Lane and cast, in which he gets the audience to take part. The show uses Lane's skills as an acrobatic comic. Although the muddled print I saw did not show him running upside down, he did handle the cape he wore for the scenes when he became a member of the Peerage with whatever technique he had for making it a live animal with which he could fight.

Lane toured in the show for decades. His nephew Richard Lupino, who began showing up at the Silent Clowns shows when they added Lane's silent shorts to their repertoire, said that the part crippled him.

Looser Than Loose has several dvds with Lanes' silent shorts. The Mills Brothers did a cover of "The Lambeth Walk" that is very good and Len Lye did one of his experimental animation shorts to a swing cover by the Quintette du Hot Club de France, featuring Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli.

I would like to see a clean copy of the filmed version too, but it's not one of the ones I am expecting to show up any time soon.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Recently, whenever I'm at a loose end I'll comb the British Pathé items that are in the process of being uploaded to Youtube. There's a wealth of stuff for anyone with an interest in the British stage, including sequences from current plays and revues. There is a ton of Lupino Lane material:

With Beatrice Lille in 1934:

Demonstrating the aforementioned athleticism, in 1926:

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's the "Doing the Lambeth Walk" number from the same crummy print -- I recognize the French titles from about a quarter of a century ago. Although you can see Lane's stage presence explode off the screen, this is a number that needed to be shot by Busby Berkley, maybe with Toby Wing as his partner in crime.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

ClayKing

Unread post by ClayKing » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:18 pm

The film was shown in 35mm around ten years ago at Cinefest. I recall it being amusing and entertaining though overlong.
-Rich

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Good film, lousy print. Does BFI have a clean print to release?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Here's the "Doing the Lambeth Walk" number from the same crummy print -- I recognize the French titles from about a quarter of a century ago. Although you can see Lane's stage presence explode off the screen, this is a number that needed to be shot by Busby Berkley, maybe with Toby Wing as his partner in crime.
Having seen the film a few times over the last half century, been to see a couple of stage revivals, listened to gramophone records of the main themes... "Cor luv a duck, ain't I been doin' the bleedin' "Lambeth Walk" nar the last bloomin' 'alf hour all up an' darn them apples an' rand the block as well! I'm all dunn in I can tell you!" :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

buckley

Unread post by buckley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Me and my Girl was Lambeth Walk as a film. Lupino Lane and Teddie St Denis did the stage version at the Victoria Palace opposite the Thames, and, in 1970 it was next door to a betting shop that was owned by comedian Bud Flanagan who had recently died. I was in that theatre in late 1970 for a radio show recording for the BBC who was still using the theatre for those things along with other London venues no longer used by them. The Lambeth Walk recording by the stars was recorded in that theatre with the audience participation and issued on two sides of a 10" 78rpm record.

The film had been lost and when, in the 1980s, the revival of the show was planned by the composer's son(Horatio Nicholls' son) they hunted the film and traced it to Holland and, according to them, it had been destroyed there that year under circumstances they did not reveal. Material has since been found in maybe France(so many things seemed to have been with British films) but what I have seen on You Tube etc has been atrocious. I have a couple of amateur modern day versions hidden away somewhere in my collection on DVD. I saw the commercial local revival and found the music for earlier revivals here in the 1970s for amateur groups.

The details below are what the BFI seems to have and I see that some is marked as on loan. Is this loan to them(and if so to duplicate?) or on loan to someone for a restoration. This would be a film Networkonair UK would issue in their British Musicals Collection. The BFI seems to have a lot of material considering it was listed as a "lost" film. The Ghost Train(Arnold Ridley) from the other of the decade was listed as "lost" for a longtime but material seems to have surfaced, from France in recent years.

Reference number
C-831727
Can ID
46697D
Title
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item type
Film
Status
Viewing (Servicing)
Usage
Film print can be requested for access
Base
Polyester
Gauge
35mm
Sound
Combined
Description
BW Positive
Number of cans
Total footage
7251 Feet
Reel footage
reel 8: DD1102 Feet
reel 7: DD972 Feet
reel 6: CD903 Feet
reel 5: CD972 Feet
reel 4: BD729 Feet
reel 3: BD884 Feet
reel 2: AD973 Feet
reel 1: AD716 Feet
Quality report
PRINT GRADE 2.(END RL8 LAST FEW FEET MISSING)D FAIR. N LIGHT WEAR, OCCASIONAL SCRATCHES. SD FAIR. ACCEPT 11.7.95 JVS
Source
Condition
-emulsion
0 BAD SURFACE SCRATCHES. PREVIOUSLY TREATED.
-base
0 BAD SURFACE SCRATCHES.
-perforations

Hierarchy Display
-The Lambeth Walk
Work - 35258 - 1939 (Release)
United Kingdom - Film - Fiction
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-735150 - Film - On loan
35mm - Original Negative - Sound
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-735151 - Film - On loan
35mm - Dupe Negative - Combined
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-735152 - Film - On loan
35mm - Dupe Negative - Combined as Mute
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-736810 - Film - Master
35mm - Duplicating Positive - Combined
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-736811 - Film - Master
35mm - Duplicating Positive - Combined as Mute
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-736812 - Film - Master
35mm - Master Positive - Sound
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-831727 - Film - Viewing
35mm - BW Positive - Combined
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-1077698 - Video - Viewing
- VHS cassette
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-1287364 - Video - Viewing
- Digital Betacam
LAMBETH WALK THE (1939)
Item - C-1287365 - Video - Viewing
- VHS cassette

JumpingFrog

Unread post by JumpingFrog » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:30 am

What about the 1939 TV version? I can't believe this exists or how the hell they did it back in 1939, but here are five minutes of astonishing footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAzF6CoXo8

Does it still exist in it's entirety or is this it?

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 am

Wasn't Mister Cinders also considered lost for a long time? That has recently appeared on DVD in an immaculate print via Networkonair.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

petelush

Unread post by petelush » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:01 pm

As for British TV 1939, I vaguely recall from a visit to a UK museum of media decades ago that they were ahead of the U.S. in TV penetration in the general population.

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 pm

The film was shown over 30 years ago at the BFI South bank.I believe that the copy had been found in the Czech National Archive.So alas no better copy will exist unless another print is found.
The film does not do justice to an engaging musical.It was revived on the West End stage in 1990s with Robert Lindsay in the title role,with all the Noel Gay numbers intact.I thoroughly enjoyed it.

antoniod

Unread post by antoniod » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:21 pm

JumpingFrog wrote:What about the 1939 TV version? I can't believe this exists or how the hell they did it back in 1939, but here are five minutes of astonishing footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAzF6CoXo8

Does it still exist in it's entirety or is this it?
It exists because it was filmed for broadcast, and the film was saved. Many late 30s British TV programmes were recorded on film first.