KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
bigshot

Re: KING OF JAZZ on DVD or BluRay

Unread post by bigshot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:34 am

My experience is that blu-ray players are better at playing CDs and DVDs and recordable media than older dedicated CD and DVD players. I have a blu-ray drive connected to my computer and it rips CDs MUCH faster than my old DVD drive did, and with fewer errors. Blu-ray players and modern flat screen TVs are cheap enough, there's no reason to hang on to old analogue equipment. Thrift stores are the place for that.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:23 pm

I need a blu-ray player that also plays laserdiscs. Any leads? :D
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input. You're really missing out and doing yourself a disservice. And you'll always be able to get some kind of converter that will allow you to use your analog product. I have one of the lower-end Epson projectors and am able to run Blu-Ray, region-free DVD, VHS, and laserdisc just fine.

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input. You're really missing out and doing yourself a disservice. And you'll always be able to get some kind of converter that will allow you to use your analog product. I have one of the lower-end Epson projectors and am able to run Blu-Ray, region-free DVD, VHS, and laserdisc just fine.
I have a recommendation too! I think we all should save our pennies and buy a picture theatre - preferably one that still has a Wurlitzer organ in it (for the silents)!

:D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:15 pm

I've got room for a Wurlitzer organ in my home theater if anyone has one to spare (and can play it! I can't.)

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 am

Thad Komorowski wrote:I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input.
And while you're at it, try and find a blu-ray player that can be adjusted to play discs from all regions, in case something special comes out overseas that you can't see at home. You can go cheap and get something like a Seiki for under $100, or go large and buy an Oppo, which is a top of the line blu-ray/DVD/CD/SACD/HDCD/DVD-A player.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:07 am

I'll bring the popcorn!

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

ClayKing

Unread post by ClayKing » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 am

Sounds like sour grapes. For $60 I bought an upgrade kit which made my Oppo BDP-103 3D blu-ray player region-free. On my big-screen TV the difference between DVD and Blu-ray is palpable, however on my smaller flat panels not so much.
-Rich

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:08 am

Donald Binks wrote:
Thad Komorowski wrote:I think at this point people need to get with the times and make the upgrade to Blu-Ray and a system with HDMI input.
I have a recommendation too! I think we all should save our pennies and buy a picture theatre - preferably one that still has a Wurlitzer organ in it (for the silents)!
(The respective costs for the two choices are VASTLY different!)

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 am

wich2 wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:
(The respective costs for the two choices are VASTLY different!)
Seriously. This Epson retails for about $300 (I got it for $100 at an auction), and the Blu-Ray player was I think $80? Comparing that to ye olden days, that's getting worlds better quality for very little.

Mark Zimmer

Unread post by Mark Zimmer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm

I've never had a DVD amongst my many thousands that wouldn't play in a Blu-ray player, though I have a few Blu-ray discs that won't play in a Blu-ray player; the format was rushed to market to compete with HD DVD and it never really got its requirements down.

Back to KING OF JAZZ, I'd love a Blu-ray of it; when the restoration played here at the local film festival the tickets sold out so fast I didn't manage to get one.

If not for Paul Whiteman, there'd be no Rhapsody in Blue, and Gershwin's career might well have stayed in the musical theatre realm instead of venturing into classical music.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Part of the appeal of blu-ray to rights owners is the ability to update encryption standards. This means that if you have an older player, it's possible that a newer disc might have encryption that is unreadable to the old player. The solution to that is to update the firmware in the player by connecting it to the internet and downloading the update from the manufacturer's site. My Oppo updates firmware automatically.

Ray Faiola

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 am

A 16mm print (reduction from nitrate) just sold on eBay for over $1,600.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

Del Walker

Unread post by Del Walker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 am

May be old news to you guys but Criterion BluRay of "The King of Jazz" is to be released on March 27th I'm in :D

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22591

westegg

Unread post by westegg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:48 am

That news never gets old! :D

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 pm

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 pm

OOPS... I posted that same thing in the other thread.

I will repeat my comment, if you allow me:

Impressive. We never saw a two color technicolor production looking this good on video. The Black Pirate was almost ok, but they choosed a too pale color balance instead of the nice csatured colors from mthe DVD edition.

There is camera negative scans, and probably two qualites of 2 color technicolor prints used as source for the restoration, one looking better than the other.
The camera negative portions looks very good, without color bleeding, and sharp, considering optical losses of very early technicolor camera lenses and prisms. The prints look like wasn't realighned for the color channels fit better in each other.
Despite the technicolor prints itself have film strips glued together, the color channel can be realigned digitally for better precision than was possible to get with the early technicolor prints technolog. The camera negatives for two color technicolor have one single strip, but recordsimultaneously two frames, one for each color frame, one above the other.

The screen capture of the two dancers together looks so good that it's like some scene took from the film The Aviator.

Harold Aherne wrote:A review and screen captures:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/dvd_revi ... lu-ray.htm

--HA
Keep thinking...

Salvidienus

Unread post by Salvidienus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 am

Is the surviving Vitaphone soundtrack to the 12 minutes of lost footage included? I was very interested in hearing the lost musical number with Grace Hayes singing "My Lover" and the Specialty number featuring Nell O'Day....

Only about 5 minutes of additional footage was found that differs from the 1933 VHS version....All of it being comedy material....

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:13 am

The Criterion Website have clip for Rhapsody in Blue have a shortbeginning that look like coming from a 16mm print.
Is that really a 16mm print for the short beginning introduction ?

https://www.criterion.com/films/29389-king-of-jazz" target="_blank" target="_blank

Despite the inferior print quality, the restorers were careful to performe a very good color balance and a perfect digital clean-up of dirty and scratches.
Keep thinking...

vitaphone

Unread post by vitaphone » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 am

Salvedinus, the MY LOVER Grace Hayes and O'Neil sequences were never in the released 1930 KING OF JAZZ. They were filmed but like a number of other sequences, they never appeared in the finished film. As such, there would not be any soundtracks material for these.

The 1933 reissue (on VHS) ran a little over an hour and included several of the comedy scenes filmed for, but not used, in the 1930 original release.

The restoration runs almost 100 minutes and is missing nothing that survives. There are several brief sections for which picture was missing but soundtrack was used.

I would strongly recommend that anyone getting the home video release of KOJ purchase the superb Layton and Pierce book on the making and restoration of KING OF JAZZ. There is an entire chapter just on cut, filmed and planned sequences. The book can still be ordered here:

http://kingofjazzbook.com" target="_blank

It is a perfect companion to the film.

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 am

I strongly concur with Vitaphone on the Layton/Pierce book. It's the finest, most detailed book on a single film I've ever seen.

Concerning the opening section of Rhapsody In Blue. That and a number of other sections are from an original 35mm nitrate print. The nitrate was used in instances where particular sections were missing from the camera negative. Those sections will appear just a bit soft compared to the sections where the negative was used. Technicolor prints had a tendency to be a bit soft due to the printing process. That said, Universal's restoration team did a fantastic job of matching the materials.
Joe Busam

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:18 am

Some company ought to do a box set comprising
Hollywood Revue of 1929
Paramount on Parade
Fox Movietone Follies(soundtrack only alas)
The Show of Shows

That would be a hard call but a fine idea. Three different owners and a change of one recently if it goes thru. Hollywood Revue of 1929, I believe, has had some footage found not yet on a DVD. Show of Shows might have some more color found. Paramount on Parade should have been on a disc by now even if still missing some material(I think some 2-color Technicolor was lost at UCLA due to decay but not overly sure). I had Paramount on 16mm with a very worn and very low soundtrack but a later projector with double the output amp did wonders). Time Universal did something with their Paramount-owned films before it is too late. So much I want to see again since the early days of TV in my country or not seen at all from this period as few of any ones' films from around 1930 were shown here much the pity. We cam have hopes!!!

WORLDECHO

Unread post by WORLDECHO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am

I was lucky enough to see the screening of the restored KOJ in Glasgow last year. Please can somebody tell me if there were two sequences missing from the restored version? On my old vhs copy there's a comedy sketch about the birds and bees and "getting away with it so far" and a pantomime horse "horses neck" sequence but I don't recall seeing either of those in the restoration. Any ideas please?

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am

WORLDECHO wrote:I was lucky enough to see the screening of the restored KOJ in Glasgow last year. Please can somebody tell me if there were two sequences missing from the restored version? On my old vhs copy there's a comedy sketch about the birds and bees and "getting away with it so far" and a pantomime horse "horses neck" sequence but I don't recall seeing either of those in the restoration. Any ideas please?
"Pretty Lucky So Far", "Horse's Neck", and "Look What It Makes Me" were all photographed in 1929-30 but not included in the original release of KOJ. They were added to the 1933 reissue (which in turn removed quite a bit of the original footage). As the goal of the restoration was to recreate the 1930 edit, these three little blackouts were omitted. I would assume that they'll be included on the upcoming Criterion release as deleted scenes (per the specs described at https://www.criterion.com/films/29389-king-of-jazz).

--HA

vitaphone

Unread post by vitaphone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:50 am

Correct Harolds! Beat me to it! Again, the terrific Layton and Pierce book on the making and restoration of KING OF JAZZ devotes considerable detail on photos on this and scenes planned, shot but not used, or deleted. Still available at http://www.kingofjazzbook.com" target="_blank. Highly recommended!

WORLDECHO

Unread post by WORLDECHO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I thought it was odd to leave some scenes out of the restoration but now realise they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Still I hope they are included in the Blu Ray as they have become part of the KOJ history.

David Alp

Unread post by David Alp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:24 pm

So guys -- by some quirk of fate, (or maybe even the Law Of Attraction!!), it turns out that I will actually be in San Francisco this May for one week. This will obviously give me the opportunity to go and purchase a copy of the blu-ray "King Of Jazz" and carry it home for free! No pesky shipping charges! And a lovely multi-regional blu-ray player to play it for me for when I get home.

Question is, (and please can the Americans help me), where is the best place to physically buy it? Would I be correct in saying that "Barnes & Noble" in SF would be best? But if so, which one? As there appears to be several Barnes & Nobles in SF.

Scott Eckhardt

Unread post by Scott Eckhardt » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 pm

As far as I know Barnes and Noble may be the only brick and mortar store to carry it. I visit the one in Minneapolis on a regular basis and always see Criterions on their own shelf. I would phone the store nearest to where you are staying to verify that they have it in stock right before you arrive. If they are out of it, they can have a copy shipped to the store before you leave.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 am

There are record stores in SF that might carry Criterion discs, like Amoeba.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 am

Latest review on the Blu Ray from Glenn Erickson at Trailers From Hell and it's a honey. Thanks, Glenn!

https://trailersfromhell.com/king-of-jazz/
Joe Busam