The 4 hour "Greed" coming to TCM (4/15/18)

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Big Silent Fan

The 4 hour "Greed" coming to TCM (4/15/18)

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:16 pm

It's been awhile.
This weekend's "Silent Sunday" feature is the reconstructed "Greed."

Jim Roots

Re: The 4 hour "Greed" coming to TCM (4/15/18)

Unread post by Jim Roots » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm holding out for the 8-hour original.

Jim

Big Silent Fan

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Jim Roots wrote:I'm holding out for the 8-hour original.

Jim
I suppose I'll save a four hour copy even if I don't plan on watching it.
I've already edited the four hour version down to three and a quarter hours, the same length coincidentally as the Rex Ingram edit, done before MGM cut it to two and a quarter hours. Some of the gaudy gold tinted images and back story (in the reconstruction) about Mac's father just didn't fit in with the rest of the clearly told story.
John McTeague was a mama's boy, and in my mind, much like the Hoss Cartwright character in "Bonanza." There's just no way Mac would have stood by and let his father abuse his mother as it says in the beginning of the reconstruction.
Last edited by Big Silent Fan on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:Some of the gaudy gold tinted images and back story (in the reconstruction) about Mac's father just didn't fit in with the rest of the clearly told story.
There was such tinting in the original, per Von's intentions.

The Blackbird

Unread post by The Blackbird » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 am

Swell. It's just a shame TCM has long since blocked its signal so you can no longer record off the channel so I'll simply lose out and miss this broadcast like I do with 99% of their stuff anymore.... :(

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 am

The Blackbird wrote:Swell. It's just a shame TCM has long since blocked its signal so you can no longer record off the channel so I'll simply lose out and miss this broadcast like I do with 99% of their stuff anymore.... :(
It's not TCM's doing. It's one of the cable companies (AT&T, IIRC). It's fine on Comcast.

Big Silent Fan

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 am

Checking the TCM schedule for tonight, it only shows "Greed" in a 2 hour, 15 minute slot, with "Solaris" following at 2:15 AM? That's hardly long enough to play the theatrical release which is much longer than two hours.

My 'Frontier' Cable Guide has it listed from Midnight till 4:15 AM. Most likely, it is incorrect.

Sorry.

Big Silent Fan

Unread post by Big Silent Fan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 am

A nice surprise last night...the entire four hour reconstruction was played on TCM.

Since I long ago removed any mention of McTeague's father from my edit, seeing those awful stills once again reassured me I wasn't too hasty in eliminating them...they are disgusting to look at. The only mention of Father McTeague is in the beginning and then he's gone from the story.
It's Mac's faithful mother, who worked in the cookhouse that plays a part in both raising him and who McTeague later becomes.

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 am

Danny Burk wrote:
The Blackbird wrote:Swell. It's just a shame TCM has long since blocked its signal so you can no longer record off the channel so I'll simply lose out and miss this broadcast like I do with 99% of their stuff anymore.... :(
It's not TCM's doing. It's one of the cable companies (AT&T, IIRC). It's fine on Comcast.
It used to work back when I had TimeWarner Cable. I think there are boxes out there to strip that out but I haven't had cable in ages so I don't go down that rabbit hole any more.

Red Bartlett

Unread post by Red Bartlett » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 am

Would have loved to watch this, but staying up to 4am isn't something I can manage. I don't have a DVR with my cable-provider, so hopefully someone will be releasing this on Bluray or something.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am

Big Silent Fan wrote:I long ago removed any mention of McTeague's father from my edit ... The only mention of Father McTeague is in the beginning and then he's gone from the story.
I dunno...

Do you also cut Fritz out of the '31 FRANKENSTEIN? He's not in Shelley's original.

-Craig

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Maybe this belongs in the Tech thread, but if you live in an area they support, you can subscribe to Youtube TV for $35 a month and record late night TCM films that way on their cloud DVR. It works over Roku and some new smart TVs. I recorded a late night Baby Peggy short last weekend and it came out fine without the inaccurate late night recording times the cable company used to give me sometimes.
- Rosemary

Agnes

Unread post by Agnes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:26 pm

No it is not TMC, it is your cable or satellite provider.I have DirecTV, & TCM records onto my DVR.
I am east coast, & Silent Sunday Nights would be a problem if I had to watch broadcasts starting at Midnight.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Agnes

Unread post by Agnes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:Checking the TCM schedule for tonight, it only shows "Greed" in a 2 hour, 15 minute slot, with "Solaris" following at 2:15 AM? That's hardly long enough to play the theatrical release which is much longer than two hours.

My 'Frontier' Cable Guide has it listed from Midnight till 4:15 AM. Most likely, it is incorrect.

Sorry.
DirecTV had it listed as 2 hours and 15 minutes, followed by thinks "Solaris". What actually aired was the four hour version. I caught the beginning, and my husband was asking why all the stills? I explain there two versions out there, but this was supposed to be the theatrical release version not the 4-Hour reconstruction. That turned out to be wrong.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Does YouTube TV work with AnyVideoConverter?

On this film, I want the regular version. The reconstruction is a tough schlog. Not as bad as the reconstructed Mad Mad Mad Mad World, but close. I end up irritated by both of them. (or asleep)

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:35 am

Agnes wrote: DirecTV had it listed as 2 hours and 15 minutes, followed by thinks "Solaris". What actually aired was the four hour version.
Greed, followed by Solaris? That double-bill must have taken up their entire night schedule!

Jim

mclysaght

Unread post by mclysaght » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Try recording off TCM using RCA jack's (red, yellow, white). I couldn't record off Direct TV using HDMI but I could record using the RCA. I now have Sling with DVR. I then record off the computer with a program called Audials. Works great for me! :)

David English

Unread post by David English » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Apple's iTunes store has the four-hour version of Greed. It seems to be the same print that TCM runs. It even opens with the title card "Turner Classic Movies Presents."

I purchased it a few years back, so that I could watch it on my iPad. The image quality is quite good. It's roughly comparable to a decent-quality DVD.

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:52 pm

bigshot wrote:Does YouTube TV work with AnyVideoConverter?

On this film, I want the regular version. The reconstruction is a tough schlog. Not as bad as the reconstructed Mad Mad Mad Mad World, but close. I end up irritated by both of them. (or asleep)
Sorry bigshot, I don't know the answer to your question. I believe you may be able to fast forward on Youtube TV, though not always easily. However, for $35 a month it's a cheap way to get a lot of channels including TCM (I don't work for them, ha, just happy to be rid of the cable company).
- Rosemary

TerryC

Unread post by TerryC » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 am

Walmart still offers the Magnavox DVD recorder on line. I have 2 of these. They each have a hard drive for editing, and they make burning a DVD idiot simple. I made my own copy of the restored agreed the last time TCM ran it.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:18 pm

And I was that weirdo who set his DVR for Solaris, and wound up only getting the first 40 minutes of it...I'm still amazed that Soderbergh was able to remake it, and keep his version to just under 100 minutes.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm able to record off of TCM (I'm in Canada, I guess our cable providers are only semi-evil), lots of titles I couldn't watch when they aired I was able to record on the DVR and then copy with my (admittedly creaky) stand-alone DVD-burner. Also handy for making digital copies of titles on laserdisc that haven't shown up in other formats (the list is getting shorter, but there are still a few).
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

TerryC

Unread post by TerryC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:02 am

Walmart.com is easy to order from. We live close to the border, and ordered the Magnavox DVD recorders to the closest Walmart. We often vacation in the US, so we arranged to do a pick up when we stayed 2 nights so any duty would not apply