Blackhawk Films catalogs now online

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
BenModel

Blackhawk Films catalogs now online

Unread post by BenModel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:47 pm

I posted this info on FB and Twitter this afternoon and the response I've been getting seemed to indicate that word about this has not gotten around beyond ML7 attendees, so I thought I'd start a thread about it...

At the end of Dino Everett and Serge Bromberg's excellent presentation about the history of Blackhawk Films last month at Mostly Lost 7, they announced that a majority of the original catalogs from the 1930s all the way to the very end have now been scanned and posted online for fans and scholars to read or download. They're still missing a bunch of issues, so if anyone has any of the missing issues, you can contact the project through the website about getting your copy scanned and uploaded.

You can read my post about the project, which links to the database of all the catalogs, at bitly.com/blackhawkfilms.

Imagine -- a standard 8mm print of a Laurel & Hardy short on 2 200-foot reels for just $12.98!

Ben

Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Scoundrel

Re: Blackhawk Films catalogs now online

Unread post by Scoundrel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Wonderful News ....!!!!!

Kudos to Serge, and I'll raise a glass to David and Hugh.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Dean Thompson

Unread post by Dean Thompson » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:05 pm

What a great project! I'm sure many of us find the sight of these catalogues a wonderfully nostalgic wallow.

Sigh. I'd cut grass for weeks to save up for a Laurel and Hardy short in super 8mm sound. Once it arrived after what seemed like months of waiting, just the smell of the film after I opened the pink box adorned with L&H's smiling faces was enough to make me happily levitate to the ceiling like Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins. I'd thread my Kodak projector in a snap, and then it was magic time as the Dance of the Cuckoos began....

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:33 am

Great Job. I used to have many in my collection from the 1970s but most have disappeared due to fire. I have now downloaded up to and including 1950. I was a Blackhawk agent here in Australia for a few years before VHS took over nit the late 1970s. The Laurel & Hardy were not available to me because they had a contract for North America only. I solved this by splitting the discount with a retail store near my late aunt's address in Michigan where I stayed often in the 1970s. The discount was 40% and I got 20% off and paid postage to me on 8mm/Super8. The 16mm films were not discountable like other businesses making films available did. All other films in 8mm/Super8 and the 35mm slides I got the 40% trade. Many might remember the wages and prices freeze in US for a period in the 1970s and I was able to do well during this period and the dollar was great from my end which meant I could sell films at the same figure as in USA. So a feature in 8 selling for, say, $30 in US, I could sell for A$30. I, of course, bought from many other bygone producers like Niles Film Products(Indiana), Thunderbird Films, and, Glenn Photo Supply in LA, Milestone Films(Hartney Arthur, features only in hard yellow boxes) and many others. There were a few shonks out there but Thunderbird was not one of them regardless of what else he did that got him jail and it was an employee who ripped off over $20,000 worth of developed reels working night shift and putting an LA postal address on the packages until he was caught. He made good orders I did not get and I guess for everyone else who contacted him. I visited the lab a couple of times and I did meet his daughter once and a well-known employee who loved cartoons and went to conventions in those days. It was interesting times.

Ironically, Hartney Arthur, an Australian, was involved in some films made in Australia of local bushranger Ned Kelly(remember Mick Jagger as Kelly in 1970?) pre-1950 and as I write they are preparing another one on Kelly(who was hung in my city and the judge, after a retort from Kelly in the court, died 5 days later) to be filmed about 2 hours or so from my home in a former gold mining town named Clunes. Clunes had the first gold find in Australia and has many old shops etc despite bushfires and the anniversary, apparently of that find was last weekend. A friend lives in the town currently and a weekend of all books sale has just happened there as it does every year. The first Kelly film(only about 20 mins surviving and I have) was made in Melbourne in 1906 and is considered the first narrative feature made in the world. Maybe.

BenModel

Unread post by BenModel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am

Scoundrel wrote:Wonderful News ....!!!!!

Kudos to Serge, and I'll raise a glass to David and Hugh.
...and to Dino. This was a collaboration between Lobster and USC Hefner, whose site hosts all the catalogs. ;)

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Tommie Hicks

Unread post by Tommie Hicks » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am

I started looking at these bulletins and I automatically started thinking of lawns to mow. The Blackhawk Bulletin was more than a catalog to me. It was more of a monthly visit by a herald from my favorite land.

Since all of my birthday and Christmas presents came from Blackhawk they sent my mother bulletins too, so I had two copies each month. One bulletin I would keep and the other bulletin I would cut up and put in a scrapbook.

I'm gonna start looking to see if I have any bulletins they lack. The bulletins decompose over the years very quickly.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 am

I just shipped Dino 49 bulletins that they were missing, all from 1973-1984.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks, Ben and all!

I still have a few old "hardcopies" in my files..

-Craig

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:32 pm

moviepas wrote:Ironically, Hartney Arthur, an Australian, was involved in some films made in Australia of local bushranger Ned Kelly(remember Mick Jagger as Kelly in 1970?) pre-1950 and as I write they are preparing another one on Kelly(who was hung in my city and the judge, after a retort from Kelly in the court, died 5 days later) to be filmed about 2 hours or so from my home in a former gold mining town named Clunes. Clunes had the first gold find in Australia and has many old shops etc despite bushfires and the anniversary, apparently of that find was last weekend. A friend lives in the town currently and a weekend of all books sale has just happened there as it does every year. The first Kelly film(only about 20 mins surviving and I have) was made in Melbourne in 1906 and is considered the first narrative feature made in the world. Maybe.
Such is life.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Lonesome Luke

Unread post by Lonesome Luke » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:One bulletin I would keep and the other bulletin I would cut up and put in a scrapbook.
I chopped them all up except one (October 1976) and stuck 'em in binders; I kept the articles and pictures I liked. I have two pages from one issue, not available on the archive - the cover and an article on Harold Lloyd from March 1979. A while back I wanted to post the article on Harold Lloyd's Green Acres taken from a Blackhawk catalog, but never got around to it.

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:56 pm

The only one I saved was #342, the last big catalog I believe to have a fairly large collection of film. My copy is in much better shape than the one scanned, a surprise given I must have looked through it wistfully hundreds of times since I received it. Oddly, I don't believe I ever got the last "film only" catalog in 1984 although I was getting the supplements for years. I'm thrilled this project is online as there are a number of early 8mm/16mm releases that (as has been noted here in the past in other threads) have been listed in places as "lost" films although they were available for sale just decades ago!

Robert W

Unread post by Robert W » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Wonderful, wonderful memories...thanks for posting this !

Slightly off topic....

I was checking a bulletin from 1976 that featured the Super 8 Chaplin features that were sold on long-term lease at the time. Did anyone ever actually return their prints at the end of the lease or was the whole deal long forgotten by 1991 ?

16mm4FR

Unread post by 16mm4FR » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm

This is truly wonderful! Thank you all for the herculean effort. I hope the same can be done for Film Classic Exchange in LA whose proprietor Charles Tarbox offered some extraordinarily rare titles from his own negatives.
Robert W wrote:Wonderful, wonderful memories...thanks for posting this !

Slightly off topic....

I was checking a bulletin from 1976 that featured the Super 8 Chaplin features that were sold on long-term lease at the time. Did anyone ever actually return their prints at the end of the lease or was the whole deal long forgotten by 1991 ?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Robert W wrote:Wonderful, wonderful memories...thanks for posting this !

Slightly off topic....

Nobody had to turn in their films. It was a legal maneuver to get the Chaplin Estate to get the films to collectors. For more information, see the late Bob Birchard's post on Nitrateville.

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Very useful. Can now compare a few of the Blackhawk films in a collection that I have to the catalog to see the historical scheme of each title.

The "lantern of catalogs".

Thanks!
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

silentsaregolden

Unread post by silentsaregolden » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Sigh! What memories! I went to the spring of 1975 to see my first Blackhawk catalog. I ordered L&H's "That's My Wife" from the half-price sale just because I had an old 8mm projector lying around. When that catalog came, I was hooked! I immediately ordered the other two half-price films - "Cops" and "The Immigrant." Can't wait to browse more of them! Thanks to Dino and all who had a hand in bringing back these memories.

tguinan

Unread post by tguinan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

Wonderful! I was finally able to find when they sold the Texas Guinan films (1970). I've been looking for that info for years.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Any chance of finding old Willoughby-Peerless catalogues?

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells