Broncho Billy Silent Film Festival Thunders Onto Screen

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
missdupont

Broncho Billy Silent Film Festival Thunders Onto Screen

Unread post by missdupont » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 am

This Friday, the Broncho Billy Silent Film Festival kicks off at the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum. Here's a preview:
https://ladailymirror.com/2018/08/06/ma ... he-screen/" target="_blank

tguinan

Re: Broncho Billy Silent Film Festival Thunders Onto Screen

Unread post by tguinan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 pm

For those who were not able to attend, here's what you missed, and you missed A Lot!!!

Friday night was Max Linder night. I've never seen him before so this was a pleasant surprise. I will have to seek out more of his work.

Saturday early afternoon was dedicated to 3-D films. Eric Kurland and Bob Bloomberg from #-D Film Archive presented a number of 3-D Films including some silent films.

Saturday mid afternoon was filled with films that no one has seen for close to 100 years. Last February the Museum was able to purchase a number of early Essanay films. They are planning a full restoration of them and the first step was to scan them. They showed the raw scans that have been completed on eight of the films including Gloria Swanson and Wallace Beery in The Broken Pledge (1915), The Temptress (1911), Inner Brute (1915) and three George Ade Fables. The Temptress and Inner Brute were in the best condition. The Museum is planning to buy restoration software later this year to complete the cleanup and restorations.

Saturday night had Dino Everett from USC presenting some 28mm films and a couple of 9.5mm films including a Baby Peggy film "Our Pet" (1924). I think I liked 28mm version of The Mysterious Villa (1910) the best.

Sunday was every bit as good as the other days. It started with Larry Telles presenting a tribute to Tarzan of the Apes and other serials.

Sunday afternoon had a panel of film collectors and and archivist talking about how they started collecting, and how film collectors were treated for quite a while as evil scum of the earth, but have now been recognized as the ones who have saved the films. They also showed both The Great Train Robbery by Edison and the Great Train Robbery by Lubin side by side, and then Captain Celluloid Vs the Film Pirates.

The final segment showed the two Miles Brothers San Francisco films before and after the 1906 Earthquake along with several early Hawaiian films.

All in all a very satisfying festival!

missdupont

Re: Broncho Billy Silent Film Festival Thunders Onto Screen

Unread post by missdupont » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am

My review of the Festival is now complete. While it featured many entertaining things, there were some glitches, including shortening programs.
https://ladailymirror.com/2018/08/16/ma ... the-world/