Disappointed over Locked Thread!

Comments related to the operation of NitrateVille.
Gagman 66

Disappointed over Locked Thread!

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

:shock: With all do respect, I am not very pleased that the thread was locked just as I posted and was waiting for a response. Now my post will go unanswered, and probably even unread for the most part. And I had just made some valid points. :(

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Chill out!

I'll probably unlock it in a day or two anyway, it just needed to stop for now.

But if I had valid points... that isn't the place I'd have put them today...
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:34 pm

I was just about to make another post as well regarding more observations about the LODGER DVD and running speeds of a couple other films for comparison, but Mike's right, he can unlock it when things have cooled off a bit.

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:24 pm

:shock: Err, it takes longer to read Richard Roberts latest post than it does to project most silent features. Even at 24 frames per second. :lol: :lol:

Anyone know at what frame rate the 2004 restoration of THE BIG PARADE was processed? I keep hearing it won't match up with the Carl Davis score.

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:23 am

Gagman 66 wrote::shock: Err, it takes longer to read Richard Roberts latest post than it does to project most silent features. Even at 24 frames per second. :lol: :lol:

Anyone know at what frame rate the 2004 restoration of THE BIG PARADE was processed? I keep hearing it won't match up with the Carl Davis score.
If you mean the restoration on film, that doesn't have a "frame rate." You can run the restored film at any speed you want with a variable-speed projector, same as any silent film.

The problem comes when you transfer it to video, which fixes the frame rate. It may be that after the restoration, they made a video transfer at a different frame rate than what the Carl Davis score requires. (I'm not up on the details of this one.) The good news is that if the Carl Davis score is wanted, one could retransfer the restored film to video at a different speed relatively easily.

This is especially true if you transfer the video originally at 30 fps (NTSC) or 25 fps (PAL), which leaves you with no doubled frames -- then you can digitally slow it down to whatever speed you want using frame doubling or interpolation, without the risk of re-doubling frames that were doubled on the original transfer.

Other problems matching an existing score could arise if the restoration changed the continuity -- adding scenes, using alternate takes, different opening and/or dialog titles, or putting shots in a different order -- and I don't know if that's an issue with The Big Parade restoration. Obviously the new restoration of Metropolis will have required major revisions to the musical score.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"